StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Best Filter Contest.<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
xplorer
257 posts
msg #33991
Ignore xplorer
11/17/2004 8:12:15 PM

It is great to get this type of contest running ... unfortunately your constraints do not mirror my trading style. I like the BIG gains ... I "trade" mostly, and "invest" occasionally.

Maybe next time we can open this up to the best percentage gains ,,, bar none. Then I'll be jumping in with some good money makers ...

Well ... good luck

Fetcher[ show stocks that will return greater than 500% return tomorrow ]

..... $$$ LOL $$$ .....

jpistell
123 posts
msg #33993
Ignore jpistell
11/17/2004 8:41:56 PM

xplorer,
Take on the challenge! I swear it'll help your future filter writing.

This contest scenerio, is simply the 1st half of a 2 stage filter.
Stage #1). Find a killer trend.
Stage #2). Optimize a second filter that can buy the Stage#1 dips!

This contest is Stage #1. When your done, you'll have an excellent uptrend filter that you can wire in a "buy the dip" filter onto it (maybe a RSI(2) or similar?).

C'mon, give it a go! (you might make somthing I can use later!! ;-)

Joe

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33994
Ignore xplorer
11/17/2004 9:05:56 PM

hmmm ... well ... here is a filter I've made money with ... but doesn't fit your criteria.... doesn't give alot of selections...but I'm fine with it. Opening the parameters seems to let in scrap ... so ...maybe next !

FYI-We had a good Challenge a while back ... but it was putting it on the line with actual stock selections ... it was a good forum.

http://www.stockfetcher.com/stockdb/fetcher?p=forum⊂=view&fid=1001&tid=27603&mid=28070&efstext=Y2hhbGxlbmdl#28070

Fetcher[
High is less than 25 percent above the bottom linear regression line(60,1.25)
and the 21 day slope of the close is above .25
and close is above close 1 day ago
and price is greater than 4
and volume is greater than 50000

/*change the offset to whatever your heart desires
and offset 0 days ago
]

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33995
Ignore xplorer
11/17/2004 9:09:13 PM

oops ,,, SF didn't like my comment line... here it is again:
Fetcher[
High is less than 25 percent above the bottom linear regression line(60,1.25)
and the 21 day slope of the close is above .25
and close is above close 1 day ago
and price is greater than 4
and volume is greater than 50000

and offset 90 days ago
]

james549
53 posts
msg #33998
Ignore james549
11/18/2004 8:16:51 AM

Joe
Thanks for the feedback.
I’m fairly new at doing active trading, about 3 months. I’ve been a member of SF for about 2 months and really appreciate all input and understanding I’ve received from reading the forums. I especially liked what Trapper had to say in a post on 1-13-04 that trading is an “ART” not a science, and evaluation of the stocks picked. We each have our own personal goals and styles for buying and selling. Though we all have the same goal, which is to FILL all our trades.
Correct me if wrong.
My present goal is to build a “tool box” of filters that “I understand”. These filters will be used at certain market conditions.
Can you direct me to a forum or has anyone done any work to indicate market conditions? Say similar to stock trigger points over one to two year period. No one can see pressures on the markets from outside influence, OIL ECT.

Thanks again,
Jim

jpistell
123 posts
msg #33999
Ignore jpistell
11/18/2004 1:01:29 PM

Well James, hey... for only 3 months your doing quite well. My response to you is a bit wordy, but read it when you have time, there is a really cool idea in it.

1st of all there (as you might have already deduced...) there is no market cycle timer. If there was, everyone would use it, there by making it useless ;-) There's no way to directly correlate oil to the markets. No direct way to correlate the feds rate of interest, there are no "turn key" solutions to look at the market overall. The market participants unknowingly act in a "herd", and this herd mentality is the bedrock of TA.

BUT... do not give up, there are the "internals". Internals show us underlying strength or weaknesses. These stats go on behind the indexes and can tell us hints of market tops and market bottoms.

Now here's the fun part.
I'm going to go out on a limb and I bet $100 that your filter has some interesting internal market timing outputs. My $0.02 says that your filter will mark an intermediate market low and also tell us when to "buy anything that wiggles" because the bulls are buying everything.

Go back 100-150 days with your filter and record the number of "hits" that your filter produces. Record the numbers day by day all the way back to today. Then plot that over a major index. Print out the nasdaq chart (or my faviorite, the MDY) & take a pen and look for correlations *(i.e. mark on the chart the days that have the top 10 highest "hits". My gut tells me that when your filter has less than 5 hits, the market's runnuing like mad. I've seen your filter produce >200 hits, I wonder how far out the bottom was from that mark.

Lastly, If you put this info on a spread sheet, please email it to me at: joep@new-traffic.com.

Thnx,
Joe

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #34000
Ignore petrolpeter
11/18/2004 2:04:53 PM

Date offset 90 is an eternity and its hard to find any filter that hasn't done well in front of the Bush/stimulus rally.I follow a Gann price/time channel thread thats probably 95% succesful in realtime trades,price/time is relevant.
Fetcher[Show stocks where Parabolic SAR crossed below close and volume(10) is above 100000 and close is between 1 an 35 and date offset 90]

Any/all filters work in hind sight after a rally!

jpistell
123 posts
msg #34001
Ignore jpistell
11/18/2004 3:34:14 PM

petrolpeter,
give the longer term set ups a try, they're every bit as challenging as writing "narrow band" filters! Plus if you hit on a "broad band" filter that totally out performs the market, all it needs is an entry timer to multiply it's gains*.

I took a quick look at your filters stats. If we compare your filter example to buying a mutual fund anytime during this period, your example slightly underperforms a common ETF like SPY or a broad based mutual fund. Give it a tweak or two and re-submit it. It' quite a challenge to keep the filter broad enough to left >20 picks thru, but refined enough to out perform buying and holding QQQ.

g'luck,
joe
*Also, a filter set up for this scenerio has smaller losses as your're trading with the trend.

jpistell
123 posts
msg #34002
Ignore jpistell
11/18/2004 4:08:44 PM

petrolpeter,
One last thing. You said "its hard to find any filter that hasn't done well in front of the Bush/stimulus rally...."

The setback is around 90 days. From July 2nd, the market was negative for >60 days with a total draw down of >15%.

This is no easy set up that I propose.

Joe

james549
53 posts
msg #34033
Ignore james549
11/21/2004 9:17:55 AM

I was playing with this filter, I had posted earlier in this chain. Can anyone explain why these two filers bring back different results? The second filter I added "and" before the slope line. Sometimes there are more matches and sometimes less.

Fetcher[Fast Stochastics(20) Fast %K reached a new 30 day low
and stock price is greater than 20
slope of -DI(14) 4 days ago is greater than .25
and date offset is 80
]

Fetcher[Fast Stochastics(20) Fast %K reached a new 30 day low
and stock price is greater than 20
and slope of -DI(14) 4 days ago is greater than .25
and date offset is 80
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Best Filter Contest.<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.