StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Box Theory Filters<< >>Post Follow-up
murknd
62 posts
msg #27971
Ignore murknd
8/23/2003 11:09:13 AM

Noah,

Thought I'd start a new thread in filter exchange rather than extend your general discussion thread.

Thanks for the research and posts (and your web site) on box theory - very interesting. The problem I see is simply screening for these candidate stocks - it seems manually doing so could get very old very fast. Sooooo .... how about a filter or 2 to help. Here's a start on a 10 day box theory breakout filter. As always, one can adjust close and average volume to suit individual preference, and as you've noted, to filter out volatility. Anyway, you can see the options are numerous.

I've attempted to build this filter with the count function, but it does not work as the reference to high x days ago (even if you set it as a parameter) increments with the counter - a short coming IMO of the count function - assuming I've exhausted that option (others please have at it) - and I have been experimening for quite awhile - but still can't seem to make it (the count function) work.

Anyway ... click on this and let me know what you think.

D

Fetcher[set{boxhigh,high 10 days ago}
and high 9 days ago below boxhigh
and high 8 days ago below boxhigh
and high 7 days ago below boxhigh
and high 6 days ago below boxhigh
and high 5 days ago below boxhigh
and high 4 days ago below boxhigh
and high 3 days ago below boxhigh
and high 2 days ago below boxhigh
and high 1 day ago below boxhigh
and high above boxhigh
and close above 5
and average volume(90) above 1000000
and volume above average volume(90)
]

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #27989
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/23/2003 8:32:51 PM

This practically draws the box for you:

Fetcher[close above 5 and average volume(90) above 1000000 and volume above average volume(90) and high reached a new 30 day high]

Adjust the NEW 30 DAY HIGH to suit your needs.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #27993
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/23/2003 8:54:23 PM

THIS ONE WORKS BETTER:

Fetcher[close above 5 and average volume(90) above 1000000 and volume above average volume(90) and high reached a new 13 day high and close above high 1 day ago]

4 day hold seems optimum

MAY THE TRADE BE WITH YOU.

murknd
62 posts
msg #27998
Ignore murknd
8/23/2003 9:14:12 PM

RumpledOne,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with your examples here, but let me explain what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to filter only those stocks that have set a new high x days ago and the high from the next day till 1 day ago each day has been below that high x days ago and then the high today is above (that is box breakout) the high that was set x days ago. I think this would be an accurate representation of when a stock breaks out of a box (the time you would want to buy). The 2 filters you posted do not do this, but perhaps you're trying to do something else or you have a different interpretation of what a box breakout looks like. I'm trying to catch it the day of te breakout - not 2 or 3 days later.

Add "and draw high x day high" to my filter and notice over the duration of the x days that line does not go up (it may actually go down) - but it always goes up the last day above the high from x days ago.

D

ig0r
51 posts
msg #28006
Ignore ig0r
8/24/2003 9:36:27 AM

A good and simple way to find stocks that could easily be traded with boxes is a simple filter like this

Fetcher[show stocks where average volume(90) is above 1000000 and price is between 5 and 15 and 60 day slope of close is above .5]

Of course then you have to go through the tedious task of finding the boxes and such, did you do it by hand Noah, or do you have a better way, such as excel script or something?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #28010
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/24/2003 11:39:46 AM

Fetcher[close above 5 and average volume(90) above 1000000 and volume above average volume(90) and high reached a new 13 day high and close above high 1 day ago]

What this filter is "trying to do" is to find stocks that just broke out of a box.

I understand that BOX can be defined in more than one way. If you look at the chart generated by this filter you can "see" the boxes.

I am NOT saying this is the ULTIMATE BOX FILTER. I am NOT saying this filter is better than yours. I am NOT saying that anyone should trade stocks selected by this filter. Just posting it as something others can build on/from.

murknd
62 posts
msg #28030
Ignore murknd
8/25/2003 12:21:14 AM

I think this is VERY close - check it out!!

Fetcher[26 day slope of high 26 day high 1 day ago equal 0 and high reached a new high 26 day high and close is between 1 and 10 and average volume(90) above 100000 and draw low 26 day low]

D

xplorer
257 posts
msg #28037
Ignore xplorer
8/25/2003 10:34:52 AM

Some great filter's to use Noah's Box (DARVAS BOX) is being developed ... here is what I came up with ....

Fetcher[stocks where the 50 day slope of the close is between 1.0 and 2.0 and the 4 day slope of the close is less than -.01 and volume > 125000 and price is between 2 and 7.5 and add column 50 day slope of close and sort column 5 ascending]

xplorer
257 posts
msg #28080
Ignore xplorer
8/26/2003 8:51:21 PM

The above filter wasn't displayed as "clickable" ... (a bug has shown its ugly head) ...I modified it so you can click to your hearts content.

Fetcher[50 day slope of the close is between 1.0 and 2.0 and the 4 day slope of the close is less than 0 and volume greater than 125000 and price is between 2 and 7.5 and add column 50 day slope of close and sort column 5 ascending]

Fare Well !

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Box Theory Filters<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.