StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Consolidation Breakouts...? Seems like great possibilities....<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
Joules360
30 posts
msg #34514
Ignore Joules360
12/25/2004 9:03:13 PM

I have noticed that these consolidation breakouts from stage I to Stage II are the most effective plays...even better than buying the dips on uptrends.

I am trying to search the forum for a great consolidation filter with no breakout occurring ...YET... then I'd like to add some volume filter to get an inkling that interest may be coming so that I can put a stop buy order in just above resitance to get in as the breakout is occurring...

Any help with a filter like that? In the mean time...I'll keep searching and tweaking....

Thanks,
Joules360

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #34516
Ignore SurfnDestiny
12/26/2004 12:00:58 AM

Your on the same track that I am presently on. I have been trying to build a good consolidation filter also. Then watch for a climbing stochastic to predict a breakout.

The price channel function should do the trick, but the price seems to fluctuate above and below the channel lines quite a bit. The close above upper ascending triangle seems to be a better alternative, it is an indicator of consolidation, but doesn`t show a stock that is quiet in volume and price fluctuations.

I`m still looking also.....

Joules360
30 posts
msg #34518
Ignore Joules360
12/26/2004 1:06:47 AM

SurfnDestiny:

We can use the breakout filters that are on the forum if Stockfetcher would go ahead and implement my idea of 20 min delayed data scans...I have noticed that the Weinstein type breakouts are tremendous when we scan at end of day...but the candles are so big...that I am hesitant to jump in the next day...however...if we had 20 min delayed updated data...then we could scan constantly for potential breakouts intraday...and get in on them early.

The only reason I suggested 20 min delayed..is so we can keep the cost down...as you know...real time scanning involves exchange fees and higher costs for data feeds etc. I really like the affordability of Stockfetcher.

Joules360

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #34521
Ignore SurfnDestiny
12/26/2004 1:04:19 PM

Here is a filter for a decending trend line, then a upper forming triangle with an upward breakout.

Fetcher[Show stocks where volume is above 100000
and price is above 1
and 60 day slope of close 46 days ago is < -.1 46 days ago
and close is above the upper ascending triangle(45,5)
]

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #34522
Ignore SurfnDestiny
12/26/2004 1:14:31 PM

Oh, I now remember the name of the consolidation pattern I am after. It is a rectangular consolidation pattern. It would go nicely with the triangle patterns they have now on this site.

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #34641
Ignore SurfnDestiny
12/31/2004 9:53:56 PM

I have tried variations of the following phrase to no avail.

show stocks where price touched ma(10) for the last 10 days

No combination of wording seems to produce a result that shows the price touching the moving average for the length of time specified. It seems to revert to just showing stocks that touched ma(10) today. Its like the touched keyword cannot be backdated more than once.

Price touched ma(10) 10 days ago works, but price touched ma(10) over the last 10 days doesn`t. also count(price touched ma(10),10) is above 9 - doesn`t work either.

Getting this phrase to work will make a good consolidation filter, with, perhaps some tweeking of the variables, and filtering out high slope values.

anybody know a way to make this phrase work?. It does`nt seem to work for bollinger`s either, like touched lower bollinger(20) for the last 5 days.

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #34645
Ignore jclaffee
1/1/2005 1:01:06 AM

How about

Fetcher[ Low has been below MA(10) for past 10 days]

HTH,

Jim

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #34646
Ignore jclaffee
1/1/2005 1:38:43 AM

I don't think "price" is a SF-supported measure or variable.

Try High, Low and/or Close.

Jim

marine2
963 posts
msg #34658
Ignore marine2
1/1/2005 2:42:24 PM

I revised the previous short filter concerning "low below MA(10) past 10 days.

Low has been below MA(10) for past 10 days
and cci(10) is below -100
and cci(10) increasing previous 1 day
and MA(50) increasing previous 10 days
and price increasing previous 1 day
and draw lower bollinger(10)

Looks nice, tested well.

Any comments, sure, they are always welcome.

Marine2

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #34663
Ignore SurfnDestiny
1/1/2005 4:54:12 PM

I want the touched price to work so I can find stocks that are, pricewise, traveling in a horizontal direction. these stocks are in a quiet mode when doing this with no swings up or down. You keep an eye on the stochastics and accumulation distribution signals. when they start climbing, chances are that these stocks will pop with gains of 5% and higher. I sold TFS this week with a nice 20% pop gain. go look at its price action before the pop and see what I`m talking about filtering for.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Consolidation Breakouts...? Seems like great possibilities....<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.