StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · February 2005 - Traders Tips - TASC Magazine Filter for SF<< >>Post Follow-up
kgriffen
49 posts
msg #34972
Ignore kgriffen
1/25/2005 7:06:09 PM

Here is a close approximation of February's Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities Magazine Traders' Tips Section:

Enjoy!

Fetcher[
/* Variables */
set {atr2,2 * average true range(10)}
set {llv20,low 20 day low + atr2}
set {y,llv20}
set {trail,close - atr2}
set {ptaker,cema(high,13)+atr2}

/* Parameters */
close is above weekly moving average(34)
weekly moving average(34) is above weekly moving average(34) 5 days ago
close crossed above llv20

/* Charting */
draw y on plot close
draw ptaker on plot close
draw trail 15 day high on plot close
draw rsi(7)
do not draw trail

/* Columns */
add column trail 15 day high {STOP}
add column ptaker {Take Profit}

/* Volume n Price Parameters - Change to your taste */
price is greater than 1
volume is greater than 100000
]

-kgriffen

jasonr704
1 posts
msg #34983
Ignore jasonr704
1/26/2005 12:33:46 PM

What would be a good way to also determine entry points for this filter? Could you add a line of code that averaged the previous 20 days price movement per day? For example take the low and high of each days trading range and find how much it typically moves per day. Then have the filter give you that value which you could use to approximate the entry? Or maybe there's a better way to determine the next days optimal entry point without having to look at real time charting patterns. Great work on the filter by the way! I owe you a beer!

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #35031
Ignore kgriffen
2/1/2005 1:00:07 AM

Your are welcome!

The article suggests buying at the open, but I think maybe I would place the buy order at .01 above the high.

-kg

PeterJerome
23 posts
msg #35287
Ignore PeterJerome
3/6/2005 3:44:37 PM

KG,
Thanks for coding Jim's article on Volality. It's good to have folks on this board who understand the trading concepts, know SF, AND are willing to share this knowledge.

I also use buy stop limit orders .04 above high. Higher volumes tend to give a smaller spread. When the spread narrows to .01 to .03 (10:00am) I change the original stop limit order to a stop loss order. This can prevent the market maker from 'jumping' over my order by a few cents. Also for more conservative entry you can add 'offset 1 day ago' and select those stocks that have already started the move up. As always use good MM to exit and preserve capital.

Peter.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · February 2005 - Traders Tips - TASC Magazine Filter for SF<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.