StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Filter for one week return: good features<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27215
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/5/2003 9:24:20 PM

I prefer to trade one week or even longer trends rather than day trade or very short term trades of one or two days. I designed a filter that has the following features:
1. Weekly stochastics indicates a positive change in an up trending stock but the stock on a weekly basis has taken a dip or is moving away from flatness.
2. Fast stochastics is in lower range so one is not catching the top of a change
3. Daily rsi supports an up trending stock
4. Slope of close also favors uptrend
I have run this filter in several different types of markets, up, down and flat. When the market is near a top or flattening the filter gives very few or no returns. When the market or stock is uptrending one gets returns and a reasonable number. The weekly returns are very nice. The filter is not great for much beyond one or two weeks. Once a week has been reached either sell or set a trailing stop loss. I like it because it keeps you out when the market is indicating either a short or long term top or going flat.

Here is the filter:
Fetcher[Show stocks where weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D within the last 1 day and Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 40 and rsi(14) is above 50 and 3 day slope of the close is above 0]

I post it so others can review it and perhaps suggest improvements.
JH

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27216
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/5/2003 9:31:00 PM

Something strange is happening. If I check the filter given in brackets I get a different result than if I use the filter in the set of My Filters.
The filter listed in my filter for July 3 gives no returns whereas the one posted above in bracket gives me 12 matches.

Here is the filter I copied directly from My Filter:

Show stocks where weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D within the last 1 day and Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 40 and rsi(14) is above 50 and 3 day slope of the close is above 0

Hmmmm.
JH

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27217
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/5/2003 9:31:53 PM

Note: I do not have a global filter applied.
JH

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27218
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/5/2003 9:34:00 PM

OK, I found the problem, I did not copy the last phrase. Sorry about that.

Here is the corrected filter:

Fetcher[Show stocks where weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D within the last 1 day and Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 40 and rsi(14) is above 50 and 3 day slope of the close is above 0 and Average Volume(90) is above 50000 and close is between 5 and 250 ]

ig0r
51 posts
msg #27222
Ignore ig0r
7/5/2003 11:34:11 PM

Wow, this is actually a very nice filter, do you just buy first thing the next morning and sell a week later? Check out the 8 or 7 day offsets for this

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27223
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/6/2003 12:03:11 AM

As I indicated I have been trying to design filters that work on a weekly basis. This is one of my first that seems to work well within a week. I have to admit that I have not yet traded it since I just developed it.

I would trade it on the open of the next day. There are all sorts of real trading issue to consider and I have not researched them yet.

I have metastock and will be trying to program it to get a better idea of the close vs open issue. I am not really sure how stockfetcher trades these filters. Thus, I am still a little cautious with the information for this site.

You might be interested in my new note on a filter to trade short, using essentially the same logic but reversed.
JH

eshiflett
6 posts
msg #27311
Ignore eshiflett
7/11/2003 12:00:04 PM

JH,

How is your filter for shorts based on this in reverse working out. Loved this filter for longs!

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27325
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/12/2003 6:25:49 PM

I have to admit I have not worked recently much on the short side. Still tweaking a few upside filters that are medium term filters. Thanks for reminding me to work on them again.

JH

rrochon
117 posts
msg #27372
Ignore rrochon
7/15/2003 12:55:21 PM

Jim,

If you get 12 stocks, how do you choose? Do you just buy the first stock on the list, the first 3, or use some indicator to decide, or what?

Dick

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27373
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/15/2003 2:03:02 PM

Here is another weekly filter for one week trading. I think it may be better than the previous one

Fetcher[weekly Volume Rate of Change(13,21) is greater than 1000 and weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D within the last 1 day and price is between 5 and 25]

To convince yourself that it does fairly well, even in down markets, start with Wednesday May 15, 2002 in a performance test starting date (around 288 days back as of this date, July 15th) and then start moving forward using the one day forward button. Do this one day at a time for many weeks. It actually shows many positive days in very negative markets; not every time, so money management is necessary, but in most it does well. It will also do well in bull markets, again not perfectly. Many times it will choose only one or two stocks. So, it will be a win or loss but easily followed.

Comments or suggestions always appreciated. I am not convinced it still has the perfect tweak. I have not varied parameters for volume rate of change or stochastics.
Jim

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Filter for one week return: good features<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.