StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · For the trend traders<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up
dkatz
64 posts
msg #40256
Ignore dkatz
1/13/2006 7:59:44 PM

Alf baby -- did you have to practice for many years to become such an accomplished git? Maxreturn referenced the dma in a previous message on this thread to Avery and I have been reading his perplexed posts on the subject for several days now. Figured I would clear his confusion and yours as well. Obviously, you prefer to remain confused. As for me, I prefer to place you back on ignore, permanently. It was obviously an error to take you off ignore in the first place.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #40257
Ignore alf44
1/13/2006 8:05:03 PM

...like I said "d"...

...you're off-topic !

Take the DMA BS to one the other 50 threads that "others" have created to discuss it !

Thanks !

alf44

yepher
359 posts
msg #40264
Ignore yepher
1/13/2006 9:59:58 PM

In case you are interested here is a public excerpt from the original article for MMA. If you don't have the magazine already you can get it from here: http://store.traders.com/-v16-c02-011mult-pdf.html it costs $3.95

TASC V.16:2 (70-76): Using Multiple Moving Averages by Daryl Guppy

Using Multiple Moving Averages by Daryl Guppy

Moving averages, familiar to every technical trader, are used by most technicians to identify important trends. Here's a unique twist on using multiple moving averages as an early warning of trend reversals.

Technical analysis is an adaptive process, pressing at the edges of possibility and developing new approaches from ideas glimpsed in passing. The multiple moving average (MMA) is an indicator developed from one such encounter. It uses core information generated from multiple time frames to capture and understand a concept of market dynamics rather than specific value readings.

As part of her search for high-probability swing trading points, technical trader Linda Bradford Raschke did some work with momentum-based oscillators to identify negative feedback setups. This was one of several steppingstones toward developing some solutions applicable to swing trading, fast-moving commodity markets, and discussed in her work Street Smarts. Although her focus was on the relationship between range and momentum as a way of identifying the start of positive feedback loops, an observation about contraction points tripped off a series of associated thoughts for me.

P.S.
I hope I am not perpetuating this but with all due respect I agree there are plenty of other places to discuss DMA. I have not read much of the debate about DMA but in general I feel if that (or any) indicator works for someone let them use it. If it the indicator/system does not work for you than don't use it.

-- Yepher

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #40268
Ignore alf44
1/13/2006 11:31:45 PM

yepher,

I have the TASC Daryl Guppy article !

I also have a DVD set from Guppy where he discusses at great length...the Multiple MA approach !

As for LBR (Linda Bradford Rashke)...I've read and studied pretty much everything I can lay my hands on that she has made available...dating back to the early 90's ! LBR is the closest thing to a "Trading Mentor" that I have ! John Murphy (who I also have tremendous respect for) calls Linda Rashke the most talented trader he has ever met ! Much of my work with my Range Contraction/Expansion Filter has been indirectly inspired by LBR ! fwiw

Guppy makes it clear (in the TASC article) that it was LBR's comments on Fractals and Positive and Negative Feedback conditions that inspired HIM to develop Multiple Moving Averages ! It was through my on going search of ANYTHING related to LBR...that led me to discover the Guppy MMAs !

These things (MMAs) ARE cool...regardless of the uninformed opinions of some here !

Good Luck !

alf44

yepher
359 posts
msg #40270
Ignore yepher
1/14/2006 12:27:32 AM

In case anyone is interested here is the MMA chart and oscillator as seen in Metastock: http://yepher.com/stocksite/aapl/MMA.htm

Also a funny dictionary from Daryl Guppy :)

http://www.guppytraders.com/2001_stock_market_dictionary.htm

-- Yepher

dkatz
64 posts
msg #40273
Ignore dkatz
1/14/2006 10:41:17 AM

Very well -- I apologize for moving the thread away from it's original intent. And I agree with you Yepher concerning using what works for you and leaving it at that. Also, wanted to send you a "thank you" for the stockfetcher commands you so painstakingly compiled and detailed -- continues to be extremely helpful to me and I'm sure to many, many others. Namaste. Yes, even to you Alf : - ) On topic now, I too can see the great value in these ribbons for longer term trades -- very clear visual signals. Are they at all / ever applicable or effective for short-term/swing traders like myself? Thanks.

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #40274
Ignore maxreturn
1/14/2006 12:01:29 PM

Yepher, once again I must complement you for bringing the value of MMA's to my conciousness. For a while I tinkered with them but then moved on to some other ideas. The more I look at these the more information these reveal. For example, often times in a strong bull market the trader is challenged with the question, when is correction the actual beginning of a new bear market. If you look at the AAPL chart you will note several corrections/dips where the longer term averages had little separation between them. This should have been a clue that any dips should be looked at as an opportunity to buy...not to go short. It is not until the longer term averages start trending down with expanding separation that you should be looking to sell rallies. I know that you and alf44 are a lot more educated on this topic than I am. Once again, thanks to you and alf44. If there's anything else I disover on this topic I'll be sure to post back.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #40276
Ignore alf44
1/14/2006 1:06:57 PM

"...If you look at the AAPL chart you will note several corrections/dips where the longer term averages had little separation between them. This should have been a clue that any dips should be looked at as an opportunity to buy...not to go short. It is not until the longer term averages start trending down with expanding separation that you should be looking to sell rallies..."

----------------------

max, you're observations are exactly dead on !!!

The interaction of the 2 groups of MAs provides valuable Market information and insight that might not be as easily seen...and would definitely NOT be displayed in such a VISUAL way with other methods.

That AAPL chart doesn't even show Price Data...and yet the MMAs tell the story of Long Term Investors (as represented by the Long Term MAs)...and Short Term Traders (as represented by the Short Term MAs) !

By comparison, the picture wouldn't be nearly so complete and descriptive without the...ah hem..."filler" ! LOL

Too funny !!!

Regards,

alf44

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #40277
Ignore alf44
1/14/2006 1:11:55 PM

..."you're" = your !

Jeeez !!!

Sorry !!!

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #40278
Ignore alf44
1/14/2006 2:24:59 PM

yepher,

Would love to hear more about that MMA Oscillator that you're showing on that AAPL chart.

That's pretty cool !

Seems to be essentially a MACD (sort of) !

In looking at it, I can see that the ZERO Line must represent the Long Term MAs ! Notice how when the Red (fast line) and Blue (slow line) cross...it presents some excellent Short Term trades. Also, when these 2 lines converge with the ZERO Line (ie. the Long Term Group of MAs)...notice the sometimes explosive moves that result from those areas ! These consolidation areas are what I referred to earlier in this thread as..."Critical Points"...when two time frames converge ! "Positive Feedback" conditions usually follow these "Critical Points" !

Can this MMA Oscillator be constructed here at SF ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,

alf44

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · For the trend traders<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.