StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Help defining Fibonacci Expansion<< >>Post Follow-up
wannaretire
2 posts
msg #29386
Ignore wannaretire
10/20/2003 6:19:50 PM

I like the Fibonacci indicator..but I want to find the expansion of
a latest swing hi or lo. Expansions of 1.27 and 1.618.

How do I define the Highest high over X days (starting Y days ago)
Lowest Low over X days (starting (y days ago)

Then I need to know which occured first the Hi or lo?

Example would be lets says stock hits 100 over past 90 days
Then hits a low of 50 over past 90 days (but the High ocurred first)
And today it closed at 120 then I would calculate (120-70)/(100-70) = 1.67

Can anyone help with all or part of this?

DasKapital
36 posts
msg #29708
Ignore DasKapital
11/6/2003 6:20:00 PM

I read your post and gave it some thought. Frankly, I'm confused. It's easy enough to find the highest high and lowest low over the last X days, even beginning Y days ago (I think!). Also the "high occurred before the low" can be done. And the math can be done. It's the concept that's confusing me.

Per your example, you'd like to find stocks that have put in a swing high, followed by a swing low, that have now retraced 100% of that decline, PLUS gone up another 27% or 61.8% of the decline? Or do you just want to know what percentage of retracement off the low is represented by today's close? Or what?

I'd like to try to help ya with this one. Can you take another shot at explaining this?

DK

AntNet
36 posts
msg #29742
Ignore AntNet
11/8/2003 1:37:26 AM

I think what you are looking for is a way for an indicator to calculate the "Fib Expansion Value" and then filter to find the stocks that Close or Touch the Calculated Value within some small %.

If that is what you want, perhaps SF could make a FibExp Indicator where "Up" FibExp(20,90,1.618) would find the 1.618 value for the 90 day period prior to the last 20 days, as an example. And similarly, "Down" FibExp(10,60,1.382) would find the 1.382 value for a stock moving down, based on the low / high swings in the 60 day period prior to the last 10 days, in this example.

I think you need 2 time frames because otherwise an expansion might never be found.

You could then use the FibExp Indicator like any other offered.

elnaffar
4 posts
msg #32406
Ignore elnaffar
6/22/2004 7:12:58 PM

I am in support of having such a feature/indicator.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Help defining Fibonacci Expansion<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.