StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Help with a Reversal Filter Please !<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
alf44
2,025 posts
msg #32386
Ignore alf44
6/20/2004 11:45:59 PM

I've tried several approaches and I have it refined pretty well, but...thought maybe another perspective would be helpful.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Very simply...

1.) I want the Range of the last 5 days to be greater than (ie. engulf) the Range of the previous 5 days.

2.) I want today's High to be the Highest High of the last 10 days.

3.) I want the Low 5 days ago to be the Lowest Low of the last 10 days.

That's it ! Any help appreciated ! tia

alf44

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #32387
Ignore alf44
6/21/2004 12:51:27 AM

Here is one of the filters I've written...but somtimes the "new 10 day Low 5 days ago" part of the filter doesn't jive with the results.

Stock
Fetcher[Show all stocks where Low reached a new 10 day Low 5 days ago and High reached a new 10 day High and Average Volume(10) is above 100000]

--------------------------------

Is there a better more elegant way of achieving what I'm trying to do ?

Thanks !

alf44

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #32397
Ignore alf44
6/22/2004 2:11:20 AM

I'd like to thank everyone...

...for their helpful enthusiastic responses !

alf44

cegis
235 posts
msg #32400
Ignore cegis
6/22/2004 11:04:46 AM

alf44,

You get what you pay for! <GRIN> Sometimes, free help might take a few days. Also, I can read some of your conditions as meaning several different things. Being VERY specific helps us help you.

Here's some ideas as to how these conditions might be coded...

1) By a 5 day range, do you mean 5 day high minus 5 day low? Also, by "previous 5 days, I take it you mean the 5 days before the last 5 (i.e., 6 to 10 days ago), as opposed to the 5 days prior to yesterday (2 to 6 days ago)? If so, try

Fetcher[
set{rng5,high 5 day high - low 5 day low}
set{rng10,high 5 day high 5 days ago - low 5 day low 5 days ago}
rng5 is greater than rng10
]

2) What you have for this should work: High reached a new 10 day high.

3) I don't think what you have for this is right, or I'm not reading your condition right. I think you're looking for the low 5 days ago to be equal to the lowest low over the past 10 days FROM TODAY, right? I think that'd be coded as

Fetcher[
set{mylow,low 10 day low}
days(low is equal to mylow,6) is equal to 5
]

Although, I'm not positive that the days() function might not re-calculate the "low 10 day low" for each of the 6 days it looks at.

FWIW, the problem that I see with your "low reached a new 10 day low 5 days ago" is that the "10 day low" will look at the 10 days prior to 5 days ago (11 to 15 days ago). I'm not sure if the "low [reached...]" would be today's low, or the low from 5 days ago (probably the later).

HTH, and sorry it took so long <G>!

C

xraywiz
22 posts
msg #32401
Ignore xraywiz
6/22/2004 11:05:42 AM

Alf44
1. If I understand you correctly, by the word "range" you mean high-low rather than open-close, etc. If so, then I guess you could compare two consecutive weekly ranges, since 5 days in the market is effectively 1 calendar week.
2. you are effectively asking for the low of this past week to be lower than the low the previous week. So you could define your period weekly, and ask for weekly high and weekly low. you could also do a candlestick bearish or bullish engulfing, or some such...

Here is where my own suggestion doesn't work:

show stocks where weekly high is above weekly high 1 week ago AND weekly low is below weekly low 1 week ago

when you run this you will find stocks that had obviously lower lows last week
????!!!
3. Your "new 10 day low 5 days ago" would not work because it would take data from 15 days ago, which you aren't really looking for.
Mohammad

patefern
7 posts
msg #32409
Ignore patefern
6/23/2004 8:57:16 AM

Alf,
Is that a "sushi roll" filter you're trying to create?

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #32413
Ignore alf44
6/23/2004 12:12:08 PM

patefern,

Yes ! Exactly !

Can you offer up some help ? tia

alf44

cegis
235 posts
msg #32414
Ignore cegis
6/23/2004 12:42:00 PM

Alf & Pete,

According to Investopedia.com, a "sushi roll" is "A candlestick pattern made of ten bars where the first five (inside bars) are confined within a narrow range of highs and lows and the second five (outside bars) engulf the first with both a higher high and lower low."

To me, that means the following filter:

Fetcher[
high 5 day high is greater than high 5 day high 5 days ago
and low 5 day low is less than low 5 day low 5 days ago
add column high 5 day high 5 days ago {lower High}
add column high 5 day high {upper High}
add column low 5 day low {lower Low}
add column low 5 day low 5 days ago {upper Low}
]

You might want to add a condition to cover the "narrow range" that's mentioned, perhaps "high 5 day high 5 days ago divided by low 5 day low 5 days ago is less than 1.1" (?)...

Whatta ya think?

C

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #32415
Ignore alf44
6/23/2004 1:25:36 PM

cegis,

That's the correct definition...however, the filter is still not quite there.

Thanks for your help !

alf44

patefern
7 posts
msg #32416
Ignore patefern
6/23/2004 5:29:48 PM

cegis,
Thanks for your screen, maybe you and alf can tweek these 2 and we can get a better one from them.

close 5 days ago is less than 2 percent below the close 6 days ago and close 5 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 6 days ago and close 4 days ago is less than 2 percent below close 5 days ago and and close 4 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 5 days ago and close 3 days ago is less than 2 percent below close 4 days ago and close 3 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 4 days ago and close 2 days ago is less than 2 percent below the close 3 days ago and close 2 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 3 days ago and close 1 day ago is less than 2 pecent above close 2 days ago and close 1 day ago is less than 2 percent below close 1 day ago and absolute Day Change is above 3 percent and average volume(30) is greater than 500000 and close is above 5

close 5 days ago is less than 2 percent below the close 6 days ago and close 5 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 6 days ago and close 4 days ago is less than 2 percent below the close 5 days ago and close 4 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 5 days ago and close 3 days ago is less than 2 percent below the close 4 days ago and close 3 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 4 days ago and close 2 days ago is less than 2 percent below the close 3 days ago and close 2 days ago is less than 2 percent above close 3 days ago and close 1 day ago is less than 2 pecent above close 2 days ago and close 1 day ago is less than 2 percent below close 1 day ago and Day Change is above 1.5 percent and average volume(30) is greater than 500000 and close is above 5 and close is below 80 and atr(14) is above .60

alf, you follow Mark Fisher?

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Help with a Reversal Filter Please !<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.