StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · I am always a day late to the party<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #75372
Ignore Eman93
modified
6/12/2009 5:30:03 PM

Mike,
Do you set up stop loss or just manualy sell a market order at open on all your positons and then see how you were filled?

I want to catch the likes of ACAS, VOLT and CHDX from yesterdays screen any suggestions on how to buy the open?

miketranz
956 posts
msg #75378
Ignore miketranz
modified
6/12/2009 11:15:15 PM

Eman,I don't have to set a stop on the gap trade.My rule is simple.When the market opens,where ever it opens,within 1 minute,I'm gone.I market order in and out of all trades.If it opens below the previous days close,I'm gone.The reason I'll stay the extra time is to see if there are any more buyers pushing the stock up.If there are,I'm selling into it.If your lucky enough to get a gap,you take the money.Most of the time the stock will sell off.The bottom line is you have to be willing to scratch trades on open that don't gap and take the money when they do.Hopefully you'll make more money on the winners,than you lose on your losers.One word on end of day close.Where ever the stock closes,is irrelevant.Many times high momentum stocks will have big days up.If you feel the need to continue trading,after you sell out,you can take a second entry.Go long +.10 above the days high and hold into the close.You can also use the second entry method to enter a position,without the overnight hold.But that defeats the purpose of the gap trade. A word of caution on stocks that trade under 1,000,000 volume,like the two you mentioned,you get horrible fills that seem like forever.Also in reality,you can get filled nowhere near where you planned.You want to be in liquid stocks that you can get in and out of fast.Good luck...

billrider321
70 posts
msg #75382
Ignore billrider321
6/13/2009 9:46:04 AM

how about selling it after hours.
in most cases stock keeps on drifting.

mike whats you stat talks about it??

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #75387
Ignore Eman93
modified
6/13/2009 12:38:34 PM

Fetcher[

/*Emans a day late to the party volume 1.01*/
close above 1
close is more than 5% above close 1 DAY AGO
close > open
average volume(10) > 900000

volume is more than 50% above volume 1 day ago
set{HC, high - close}
set{hcd, HC / close}
set{HC%, hcd * 100}
add column HC%
add column ind
add column high
sort column 3 descending
]

tomm1111
202 posts
msg #75391
Ignore tomm1111
6/13/2009 3:24:37 PM

Mike, Thanks for your example trades and good explanation. I may try to pick some gap plays this week.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #75394
Ignore miketranz
6/13/2009 4:01:49 PM

Bill,I never trade after hours.Wide spreads,low liquidity.Tom,another edge on the gap play is to ck out a 3 month chart.If the stock has a tendency to gap up in previous sessions,that's a good thing.Also,go in with small size until you get the hang of it...

four
5,087 posts
msg #87000
Ignore four
modified
1/25/2010 5:21:25 PM

Corrected. thanks.

----

Fetcher[show stocks where the high minus close is less than 0.10
and close is more than 0.5% above open
show stocks where the open minus low is less than 0.10

close above 1
set{stat1, count(high is more than 4% above close 1 DAY AGO,100)}
set{stat2, count(high is more than 3% above close 2 DAY AGO,100)}
add column stat1 > 40
add column stat2 > 40
close > open
volume > 500000
market is not otcbb
do not draw stat1
do not draw stat2
do not draw high minus close
do not draw open minus low
]

/*idea from, see: http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1002&tid=75260&qrid=&isiframe=*/

Any thoughts on this as a swing trade? Improvements?

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #87004
Ignore chetron
1/25/2010 5:57:08 PM

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUT LINKS INSIDE OF THE BRACKETS, IF YOU WANT IT TO BE CLICKABLE.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · I am always a day late to the party<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.