StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Long Term Debt Filtering Language?<< >>Post Follow-up
marine2
963 posts
msg #78403
Ignore marine2
9/1/2009 12:46:38 AM

Does anyone know the Long Term Debt terminology? I get companies by writing my filter this way, "and Long Term Debt equals 1"

Now if I said the number 10 I would get different companies in the search. But my question is, what does the number 1 or 2 or 10 mean to me when I ask for companies with a debt such as that number? Is 1 the lowest debt numeric that will take when asking for companies with the lowest out there? I tried 0 (zero) but no companies came up ? And if 0 (zero) is supposed to be for companies with virtually no debt then something doesn't work when working with this Long Term Debt filter.

Can someone enlighten me on how to use the Long Term Debt indicator terminology?

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #78475
Ignore trendscanner
modified
9/1/2009 9:15:15 PM

Trying different filter language and comparing the results to what is on the Yahoo Finance site, the units appear to be in $ millions. So if you specify Long term debt equals 1, it will return stocks with approximately $1 million in long term debt.

If you use "Long term debt equals 10" it should return stocks with about $10 million in LTD.

If you are looking for a company with low long term debt, you might try something like "Long Term Debt is below 0.1" Note that this will capture ETFs as well as stocks since ETFs have no LTD.

marine2
963 posts
msg #78488
Ignore marine2
9/2/2009 1:39:25 AM

Thank you for your reply to my question. I tried using the expression "and Long Term Debt is below 0.1". And do you know how many results I get from it, 4119 results. It means this filter expression or verbiage is not correct. I will continue to fish around for the truth. But, thank you anyways for helping me try to figure this out. Happy investing my fellow S.F. member.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #78491
Ignore chetron
9/2/2009 7:10:21 AM

maybe........

Fetcher[
add column long term debt

long term debt between 0.0 and 0.1
]

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #78507
Ignore chetron
9/2/2009 3:12:30 PM

I GOT 44

trendscanner
265 posts
msg #78510
Ignore trendscanner
9/2/2009 3:43:49 PM

I ran this through stock screener on the Yahoo Finance site, which screens on fundamentals. It's a pretty decent screener, actually. I ran it for stocks with zero debt and got 710 hits. You can export the data to a CSV (Excel compatible) file. The list includes AAPL and other firms that have no debt.

I ran the Yahoo screener again for stocks with between $10 and $100,000 debt (effectively, between 0 and 0.1, in SF language) and it gave 36 hits. Chetron, I think your scan is correctly picking up stocks with a little debt (between 0 and $100k) but something doesn't look right with the results that SF returns for "Long Term Debt equal to 0".

I assume that SF buys essentially the same data on company fundamentals that other sites use. Maybe this is something to ask the site administrator about.

Marine2, if you prefer to screen on fundamentals, you might want to try the Yahoo screener and see what it turns up. It's a free screener. Then import the results into a watchlist here.

marine2
963 posts
msg #78529
Ignore marine2
9/3/2009 2:00:11 AM

Thanks to both Chetron, and Trendscanner for helping me here.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Long Term Debt Filtering Language?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.