StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · MACD bottom<< >>Post Follow-up
SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #39083
Ignore SurfnDestiny
11/26/2005 7:47:17 PM

Filters that detect when the fast MACD line crosses the slow line, seem to be behind the curve as far as price is concerned. By the time that has happened you have missed a lot of previous gain it seems. Also the same happens sometimes with a ma(2) crossing above ma(50). I always wanted a filter that detected the start of the reversal before those points are reached.

Fetcher[offset 20 days
Show stocks where volume is > 300000
and price is between 1 and 100
and macd(12,26) is < 0
and macd fast line(12,26) has been below macd slow line(12,26) for the last 10 days
and 2 day slope of macd fast line(12,26) is between .1 and 0
and 2 day slope of macd fast line(12,26) 3 days ago is below -.1 3 days ago
add column 2 day slope of macd fast line(12,26) 3 days ago
]

This filter seems to work somewhat with that in mind. It does seem to hit a few days before the MACD fast crosses back above the slow.

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #39432
Ignore SurfnDestiny
12/8/2005 6:11:49 PM

The extra command seems to weed out some of the less volatile swing stocks.

I`ve been making money off this filter. Just look for the MACD slow and fast lines to have a wide gap during its downswing, coiling up for a hard return upswing.

Fetcher[offset 10 days
Show stocks where volume is > 300000
and price is between 1 and 100
and macd(12,26) is < 0
and macd fast line(12,26) has been below macd slow line(12,26) for the last 10 days
and 2 day slope of macd fast line(12,26) is between .1 and 0
and 2 day slope of macd fast line(12,26) 3 days ago is below -.1 3 days ago
add column 2 day slope of macd fast line(12,26) 3 days ago
and macd fast line(12,26) 3 days ago is 70% below than macd slow line(12,26) 3 days ago
]

But, of course this filter isn`t perfect either. I`m waiting for you guys to invent the holy grail everybody is dreaming of. Come on whats the holdup?. Quit arguing and build it, so we can all get rich.....

oldsmar52
104 posts
msg #39439
Ignore oldsmar52
12/9/2005 12:02:15 PM

Could I ask what your entry method is using this filter? Thanks, Frank

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #39451
Ignore petrolpeter
12/10/2005 12:38:15 PM

I have been using this for a while:
Fetcher[Show stocks where MACD fast line(12,26) is below MACD slow line(12,26) and MACD fast line(12,26) has been has been increasing 1 day and MACD fast line(12,26) is converging with MACD slow line(12,26) and close is above 1 and average volume(3) is above 200000 and date offset 0]

SurfnDestiny
78 posts
msg #39481
Ignore SurfnDestiny
12/12/2005 6:47:01 PM

Oldsmar52

I`ll look for the stochastics fast line(21,3) to be above the slow line and climbing.

I`ll make sure the MACD fast line has a good size gap, and has a round bulging curved line, from the MACD slow line. - avoid flat looking MACD lines.

Also the MACD fast line`s 2 day slope is > 0 or better, or climbing.

I have added a column to my watchlist, for this filter that shows the value of the 2 day slope of macd(12,26). I will monitor this value and the stochastic to look for a change in sentiment. Also I monitor COG(3). If this falls below 0 I will be more inclined to get out. But, COG(3) is a very short term indicator. Don`t let it spook you out too early. But if the fast stochastic line crosses below the slow stochastic line, I will get out.

Also, while I`m riding the stock up I keep a 3% to 5% trailing stop order in effect for safety.

Petrolpeter

That filter is about the same. Although I will say that the converging and nearing commands in stockfetcher have never been very precise in their results, at least not for me. They seem to produce erratic results. I`ve never found a use for them that I like. That may be why your filter has so many hits. I ran it, and it produced over 100 hits at one time. I like the slope command because its very precise in determining if a line is climbing or falling I.E. <> 0.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · MACD bottom<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.