StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Middle of the Range...<< 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 >>Post Follow-up
mgazda
13 posts
msg #56617
Ignore mgazda
11/9/2007 12:11:43 PM

I've read MILK THE COWS many a time, and I understand that 1% is a bit much to let go before getting in...

...I just thought that if GOOG's ATR is around 2-3%, I might have a chance to grab one percent after the initial one percent move.

Maybe I'm misreading the ATR number.

Thanks for your insight, though.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56622
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/9/2007 12:43:35 PM

IMHO, ATR is just an "illusion".

HIGH - LOW which is also (HIGH - OPEN + OPEN - LOW) is the real range for the day.

So when the price is above the open, I'm long and when it's below, I'm short to capture the range.

No guessing tops and bottoms.

mgazda
13 posts
msg #56709
Ignore mgazda
modified
11/12/2007 11:07:43 PM

TRO,

Thanks for this great filter: /* Long Profit Percent Statistics Display */ ...

...I was wondering if it could be tweaked to show what the count for Long_Profit of 1-2%, 2-3% etc, would be, but only for stocks whose open AND close are above yesterday's middle...no middle crosses involved.

Just wondering how the stats look for stocks that "pop".

Thanks again.

Mike

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #56777
Ignore nikoschopen
modified
11/15/2007 5:39:53 PM

TRO,

Over the years, the appeal for the "middle of the range" has been lost on me. That's because the prior day's high, low and close play more important role than the mid-range. In hindsight, I would say it's nearly useless as a meaningful gauge to determine anything since it's just that: middle of nowhere.

*Edit*

I have not read the thread completely, so I apologize in advance for repeating what others might have stated elsewhere.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #56778
Ignore nikoschopen
11/15/2007 5:58:16 PM

[W]hen the price is above the open, I'm long and when it's below, I'm short to capture the range.

Man, some of ure oversimplified generalizations can really make me feel dizzy. For the record, let's get the facts straight. A stock (or options, futures, as well as forex) don't always stay above their open once they cross above it. Suppose that the stock actually fluctuates above and below its open, which is not unusual, would you buy, sell, buy, sell, and buy and sell some more until you eventually get your way? Of course, there can be many variables that would change this scenario, but to blindly go long when the stock trades above its open and short when below it sounds ludicrous at best and downright insulting for those whose past transgressions have taught them that nothing is simple about the market.

No matter how pointless it might be, I concede the fact that it's not what you trade, but how you trade. But it's also about leveraging ure trades with the highest probability. This can be done by weighing the reward to the possible risk.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56780
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/15/2007 6:51:52 PM

"...I was wondering if it could be tweaked to show what the count for Long_Profit of 1-2%, 2-3% etc, would be, but only for stocks whose open AND close are above yesterday's middle...no middle crosses involved. "

Yes, that would be simple to add... GO FOR IT!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56781
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/15/2007 6:54:28 PM

"Man, some of ure oversimplified generalizations can really make me feel dizzy. For the record, let's get the facts straight. A stock (or options, futures, as well as forex) don't always stay above their open once they cross above it. Suppose that the stock actually fluctuates above and below its open, which is not unusual, would you buy, sell, buy, sell, and buy and sell some more until you eventually get your way? Of course, there can be many variables that would change this scenario, but to blindly go long when the stock trades above its open and short when below it sounds ludicrous at best and downright insulting for those whose past transgressions have taught them that nothing is simple about the market. "

TRADING IS SIMPLE!

Please keep in mind that I am a scalper. A long term trade to me is when I own a stock more than 2 minutes.

So, YES, I'll be long, short, long, short many times throughout the day.

Look at AAPL today.. see all those open crosses!! I just SHOWED YOU THE MONEY!

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #56785
Ignore nikoschopen
11/15/2007 8:53:09 PM

So, YES, I'll be long, short, long, short many times throughout the day.

Look at AAPL today.. see all those open crosses!! I just SHOWED YOU THE MONEY!

I consider myself a half scalper, half micro-trader since I hold a position anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes (sometimes even longer, although not very often).

Suppose the moment you went long, the stock dropped below its open. You then immediately reversed the position to short and took a loss. But the stock would not go ure way as expected and reversed yet again. Would you at this time sell out of ure position and then reflect on where the stock is heading or would you go long again with another loss?

I've personally experience this kind of crazy action (SNDK was that crazy stock) and it is by no means SIMPLE as you make it out. Only thing that's simple is the pain of adding up all those small losses that amounts to quite a lot at the end.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #100919
Ignore TheRumpledOne
5/26/2011 11:50:58 AM

Fetcher[
/* Previous Midpoint */

set{MidLx1, high 1 day ago + low 1 day ago}
set{Middle, MidLx1* 0.50 }
set{HiMid, high - Middle}
set{MidLo, Middle - low}

set{T10, count(10 day slope of the close above 0,1)}
set{T60, count(60 day slope of the close above 0,1)}
set{T200, count(200 day slope of the close above 0,1)}

Set{u1, T200 * 1}
Set{u2, T60 * 10}
Set{u3, T10 * 100}

Set{uu, u1 + u2}
Set{TREND, uu + u3}

/* column displays */

and add column Middle
and add column HiMid
and add column MidLo

and add column Trend

/* selection criteria */

symlist(aapl,rimm,ctsh,vit)

/* sort criteria */

and sort column 5 descending
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Middle of the Range...<< 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.