StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Need Help developing a scan.<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
fb186
2 posts
msg #50670
Ignore fb186
3/25/2007 3:20:56 PM

Trying to find scans that will find "basing" stocks like: eidg,apxr,cybd....BEFORE they break out.
TIA

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #50680
Ignore lockwhiz
3/26/2007 7:31:10 AM

...so many of these "basing" stocks continue to "base", and a little news breaks them out... but if you really want to screen for these, I would start with slope of the average price ... or slope of the 30 day high ....

...post what you come up with !

Good luck !

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #50688
Ignore nikoschopen
3/26/2007 7:17:54 PM

A number of people, including myself, have already made their token contribution to this subject. The problem is, as lockwhiz correctly pointed out, that you never quite know when these stocks will break out, if ever, from their base. You could in theory wait for a very long time before seeing the light of day for these miserable stocks. On the contrary, it's far more profitable to jump in after they break out.

fb186
2 posts
msg #50690
Ignore fb186
3/26/2007 8:28:50 PM

thanks....

traderblues
195 posts
msg #50691
Ignore traderblues
modified
3/26/2007 8:30:14 PM

Start with this (but this would catch it after the breakout):

Fetcher[rsi(14) crossed above 70
and aroon(25) oscillator crossed above 50
]

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #50692
Ignore lockwhiz
3/26/2007 9:39:49 PM

that is some great advice ...an a great screen to start with!

Remember ...Don't over screen ...keep it simple ... and know that every stock has its own personality...learn to read the charts... individually. Keep a watch list... eyes on a list of stocks that you become familiar with, and often trade these over and over again....but always be ready to add new names to the list.

A great site to understand the technicals, and how to use them here at SF is

http://yepher.com/~yepher/stockfetcher/command-cmddoc.html

...you can always pick up a new slant on the list of tools there ... extremely helpful.

Fare Well ...very well !

Muddy
55 posts
msg #50693
Ignore Muddy
3/26/2007 10:47:12 PM

"The problem is, as lockwhiz correctly pointed out, that you never quite know when these stocks will break out, if ever, from their base. You could in theory wait for a very long time before seeing the light of day for these miserable stocks. On the contrary, it's far more profitable to jump in after they break out."

Niko,You nailed it!!
Great comment

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #50696
Ignore TheRumpledOne
3/27/2007 1:14:28 AM

Yes, Muddy.

When the price moves, it HAS to go somewhere - either up or down.

All you have to do is "WAIT FOR GREEN".

Muddy
55 posts
msg #50698
Ignore Muddy
3/27/2007 9:12:05 AM

Here's one in a very long squeeze you'd wonder if it would ever breakout.

NUVO

Today looks like the day.
On news.

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #50700
Ignore petrolpeter
modified
3/27/2007 12:01:09 PM

Here is the squeeze filter that I try to squeeze through my head every day;
Fetcher[4 day slope of upper bollinger band(12) is below 0 and 4 day slope of lower bollinger band(12) is above 0 and 3 day slope of close is above -.05 and draw bollinger band(12) and close is above 1 and volume(20) is above 400000 and not OTCBB and date offset 3/20/2007]

PDS,STZ,and SYMC are exactly what I'm searching for although NUVO is on the screen but very hard to see on the chart.Another filter I use is simply 'close is above median bollinger(12)' for stuff thats already moving or hanging up there.Bollinger band width one to six month time frames is worth checking also.Cranking through a thousand or two charts twice gets you a good feel for the bullish part of the market.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Need Help developing a scan.<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.