StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · POLL: What indicators are you using, and what are realy woring<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
freshpotato
36 posts
msg #56889
Ignore freshpotato
11/20/2007 6:10:02 PM

Hello,

Too bad StockFetcher don't have a pool feature on the posts. I wanted to run this by you since most of you probably have been in the game longer than me.
As most new traders I spent my majority of my first good half year on technical analyiss, only yo find that most of the indicators are a distraction at best.
What I use now is price, some moving averages and linear regression lines. And support / resistance.. and that's about it.
Anybody interesting in sharing what kind of indicators you are using, and most importantly how you are using them.

Have a great day
freshpotato.net

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #56892
Ignore jrbikes
11/20/2007 7:15:54 PM

All the sudden I got this acute urge for some french fries!

freshpotato
36 posts
msg #56899
Ignore freshpotato
11/21/2007 12:38:22 AM

Sorry guys this should be under general.
I just realized after shutting down the computer that I forgot the most important ting of all, explain how I use the indicators mentioned above.
Moving Averages.
I use this for trend confirmation, usually I use a 100 or a 200 MA just to verify that I'm in the rigth side of the trend.
Linear Regression lines I use for my Butterfly / IC trades. I usually uses a 45 og 90 days, 90 days is better (things that are in motion tends to say that way)

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56912
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/21/2007 3:08:23 PM

I use a few HORIZONTAL LINES.. open, previous close, etc...

Just take the trade at the line.

That's all you need.

freshpotato
36 posts
msg #56916
Ignore freshpotato
11/21/2007 4:35:01 PM

Hello TRO

I'm a huge fan of trend lines myself, the only problem is finding them :)

I have a few ideas, but not quite sure on how to program them:
I used the count feature to see how many times the price had closed near the 52week high, the only problem is that the 52week high changed during the time, so the result are inaccurate.
I have also used a filter finding stocks were high is above 20 days MA, but not close (indication a attempt at breaching a trendline)

If you use a script to find trendlines, what timeframe are you using? I usually used 52week high, og 26week. Or a 90 / 180 day channel

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #56927
Ignore nikoschopen
11/21/2007 10:19:49 PM

I pretty much agree with TRO in that most of the technical indicators are nearly worthless. Even the chart patterns like triangles and head and shoulders are useless since they all more or less boil down to the combination of horizontal (support and resistance) and diagonal (trendlines) lines. Moving averages, such as SMA(20, 50, 200) are important only because they are so widely monitored by big institutions but their usefulness is very limited in scope. The only exception to the indicators is the utilization of the Bollinger band and the Keltner channel when used in combination, which I've explained elsewhere.

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #56934
Ignore guru_trader
modified
11/22/2007 12:20:28 AM

Re: Hello TRO
I'm a huge fan of trend lines myself, the only problem is finding them :)

Oh, no ... you just opened up a big can of TROworms (TROrms)!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56944
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/22/2007 12:51:22 PM

TROworms ??

jrbikes
624 posts
msg #56967
Ignore jrbikes
modified
11/24/2007 8:05:29 PM

Silly wabbit, trixs are for kids!

Trend lines work if you believe in them, SMA,s work if you believe in them, you have to BELIEVE!

I believe in Price! especially when its higher than what I bought in at!

P.S.

Them frys sure were good!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56982
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/25/2007 12:21:59 PM

"Trend lines work if you believe in them, SMA,s work if you believe in them, you have to BELIEVE! "

NO, you have to TRADE! Believing a stock will go up when it's going down is futile at best.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · POLL: What indicators are you using, and what are realy woring<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.