StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Penny Stock Filter<< >>Post Follow-up
brank20
41 posts
msg #93055
Ignore brank20
5/23/2010 12:32:03 AM

I figured I would try to come up with a way to use volatility as a means to lock in profits when it comes to penny stocks. Still working on the finer details of the filter, but it was similar to the idea 5% a week filter that Kevin posted a while back. Tweaked the formula a bit, made it simpler. Still working on the exits. Right now its set to 10%. Heres my results so far. I will release the final filter when I am done tweaking it.

brank20
41 posts
msg #93057
Ignore brank20
modified
5/23/2010 12:48:58 AM

If anyone has any recommendation on how to cut losses sooner, and or allow winners to run, please feel free to advice. Right now Im having problems with optimizing this filter to minimize the big losers. For example MMUH, 83% ouch!

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #93059
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
5/23/2010 7:57:50 AM

Not sure ... the volatility you are exploiting here cuts both ways. If you set a stop loss, you'll reduce your win % and average gain. It may simply be better to take the occasional big loss as long as the overall gains are there.

olathegolf
119 posts
msg #93061
Ignore olathegolf
5/23/2010 10:58:47 AM

I’ve seen the same problem. Play around with the stop loss to avoid a big loss triggers additional losses that were showing up previously as gains. As Kevin says, it speaks to the volatility.

I might suggest tying to assess the true liquidity of these stocks. Nearly all are trading in the 0.000X range so even with high volumes, you’re not talking about a lot of $$ traded in a given day. Depending on your level of investment, you may have trouble selling your position.

Have you tried running your filter for slightly higher priced stocks, say “close above 1”?

swiftsailing
5 posts
msg #93181
Ignore swiftsailing
5/26/2010 10:53:57 PM

Backtesting in SF for these stocks are not going to accurately represent real world results. Stocks that trade under a penny are going to have next to nothing in volume unless they are being pumped.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Penny Stock Filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.