StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Separating up and down volumes<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84412
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/14/2009 4:14:03 PM

Is there any way to look at up and down volumes separately instead of simply getting a total volume for the day?

If I wanted to look at the ratio of up to down volume for SPY (or any other stock), is this possible with the data SF uses?

Thanks,

Kevin

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #84425
Ignore decipherlinda
12/14/2009 10:23:17 PM

Kevin,

It's not available that I know of. The good news is that no one else has it either. In harmony with Occam's Razor, I like OBV. I'd like to be able to draw the EMA(10) of OBV on the chart itself.

SPY reflects the price action of ^SPX but not the volume. I know you only used it as an example - just thought I'd mention.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84437
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/15/2009 9:25:18 AM

You can do that, but the values are wildy different (OBV is in the 100's of millions). Possibly some trick to normalize it would work, then it can be plotted on price like any other variable.

If you want to plot something on the price chart you just write

draw OBV(10) on plot price (or any other indicator or custom variable)

mktmole
325 posts
msg #84443
Ignore mktmole
12/15/2009 10:43:32 AM

ditto Kevin, a great idea.
something I've been pondering with for a while, trying to use the count feature for x number of days, say 10, to look at for example

/* go Long */

Up Days with Increasing Vol
A . count days close above open and volume above volume 1 day ago
vs
Dwn Days with Decreasing Vol
B. count days close below open and volume below volume 1 day ago

A+B highest count = go long

and ideas?

SAFeTRADE
630 posts
msg #84444
Ignore SAFeTRADE
12/15/2009 10:48:27 AM

Kevin,

Could try this....

Fetcher[
set{obvval, indposition(obv(10),60)*100}
set{clsval, indposition(close,60)*100}
draw obvval on plot clsval
]

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #84458
Ignore decipherlinda
12/15/2009 1:42:27 PM

Ahhh! Can't select OBV in settings and have it drawn on the chart too.

decipherlinda
133 posts
msg #84462
Ignore decipherlinda
12/15/2009 2:19:02 PM

Hmm! Tried with no technical settings, linear scale and no SF filter criteria other than close > XXXX and volume > XXXXXX.

Can't get anything to show on the chart when using the "draw OBV on plot price" other than the two OBV lines. No stock open/high/low/close.

I'd really like to only draw OBV's EMA(10) over price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #84463
Ignore chetron
modified
12/15/2009 2:35:08 PM

EXACTLY LIN, THAT'S THE ISSUE, THERE IS NO "SCALE TO CHART" FUNCTION HERE.

YOUR PRICE IS ON THE CHART, BUT IT IS SO MINISCULE, COMPARED TO THE OBV SCALE,THAT IT IS IN THE MUD AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CHART.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84464
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/15/2009 2:41:25 PM

Yup. See that tiny thin smear of color at the bottom? THAT'S YOUR STOCK PRICE.

Example: SPY is trading at ~110, but it's MA(10) of OBV is like 200 MILLION.

DMOBRIEN
363 posts
msg #84465
Ignore DMOBRIEN
12/15/2009 3:06:39 PM

nikoschopen
- Ignore nikoschopen 1/26/2006 5:22:33 PM

Developed by Quong and Soudack, this indicator basically measures the amount of money flowing in or out of a particular stock. It is formulated by multiplying the average price by the volume for the day. A money flow ratio is then computed from the ratio of positive money flow, averaged over a specified number of days (here 10 days were used), to negative money flow, averaged over the same period. This ratio is then normalized by means of the RSI formula which translates the data to a scale ranging between zero and 100. Money flow values above 80 indicates a top, where profits will be taken and imminent selloff is possible. Values below 20 indicate a bottom, which is often followed by an uptrend.

nikoschopen
- Ignore nikoschopen 4/2/2007 12:38:42 AM

Hi,

Without any further parameter, MFRSI is meant to be used as just another indicator. If you want to use it as a filter, however, just add a few more criteria or, better yet, simply add it on top of your existing filters. For example, the following filter would vomit only 240 as opposed to 1879 stocks.

Fetcher[
draw ma(10)
draw ema(30)
draw weekly ma(10)

sign(opcl) equals 1
Close above Day Position(0.50,1)
set{body,opcl / day point range}
body above 0.5

set{up,count(close above close 1 day ago,1)}
set{down,count(close below close 1 day ago,1)}

set{pivot,pp}
set{MF, pivot * volume}

set{UPMF, MF * up}
set{PMF, sum(UPMF,10)}
set{DNMF, MF * down}
set{NMF, sum(DNMF,10)}
set{ratio, PMF / NMF}
set{MFI, 1 + ratio}
set{MFSI, 100 / MFI}
set{MFRSI, 100 - MFSI}

price above 20
avgvol(17) above 300000

draw MFRSI
draw RSI(2)

add column pivot
add column MF
add column PMF
add column NMF
add column ratio
add column MFRSI
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Separating up and down volumes<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.