StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Sort by multiple columns<< >>Post Follow-up
guru_trader
485 posts
msg #54375
Ignore guru_trader
8/26/2007 10:43:34 PM

Is there a way to sort by multiple columns? For example, how can I sort 1st by column 5 descending and 2nd by column 8 ascending and 3rd by column 11 ascending?

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #54378
Ignore stocktrader
8/27/2007 12:35:04 AM

I do multiple column sorting by using TRO's binary system. His Next NTRI filter uses this, as an example.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #54379
Ignore nikoschopen
8/27/2007 1:08:50 AM

Actually, in practice, this will never work. Here's why. Suppose you just finished sorting the first column in ascending order. So far, so good. Now you want to sort the second column in descending order. But what happens? The second column gets sorted as desired, but the first column is in disarray. Hmm, you scratch ure head and go back to sorting the first column again. But this time the second column comes out as all messed up. So you laboriously sort the second column again only to find the first column out of synch...yet again. (I'm sure you don't need me to explain why they don't line up.)

Repeat this five more times and you would rather put a bullet in ure head instead.

:)

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #54380
Ignore stocktrader
8/27/2007 10:42:54 AM

I do multiple column sorting by using TRO's binary system. His Next NTRI filter uses this, as an example.

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #54382
Ignore stocktrader
modified
8/27/2007 12:04:03 PM

Should also point out that I combine TRO's binary sort(s) with an added analog sort(s). All the math works out into a single number that is in a single column and is sorted by SF. One has to have some math skills to do this.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #54390
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/27/2007 1:48:46 PM

Hey Stocktrader, good to see you again.

stocktrader
294 posts
msg #54397
Ignore stocktrader
8/27/2007 3:52:38 PM

Yes, lurking in the shadows :)
SF has more comical value to me these days....

If people would study the work that you've done on SF they would be much better off!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #54426
Ignore karennma
8/28/2007 8:34:10 PM

stocktrader
stocktrader 8/27/2007 12:52:38 PM
If people would study the work that you've done on SF they would be much better off!
=============================================
===================================
=======================
You got that right!
Why reinvent the wheel when the work's already been done for you.
LOL!
:>)

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Sort by multiple columns<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.