StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Stochastics setting<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
glgene
613 posts
msg #37380
Ignore glgene
8/9/2005 1:27:07 PM

I use multiple indicators in my charting endeavors (as most of you do), but cannot seem to come up with a winning one for Stochastics. Too many whipsaws. I would appreciate it if a few persons here (who use Stochastics) would share their settings. In StockCharts.com, the default setting for Slow Stochastics and Fast Stochastics is 14 3. Which brings up another question: If both slow and fast defaults are 14 3, what is the difference between Slow and Fast Stochastics?

da-net
55 posts
msg #38025
Ignore da-net
9/17/2005 4:25:19 PM

HI Gene,

My Stochastic settings are different for each individual trading vehicle (stock, ETF, or Index). The reason for this is each one has its own cycles that it moves by and those cycles are dynamic.

When I want to understand how to use, set or intrepret any tool or oscillator like Stochastics, I seek out the person that either designed it, has performed the most study or that makes it simple to understand. I do not use some interpretation of how it should be used.

Hope This Helps!

rtucker
318 posts
msg #38027
Ignore rtucker
modified
9/17/2005 6:42:58 PM

d

da-net
55 posts
msg #38029
Ignore da-net
9/17/2005 7:47:58 PM

#############################################################################
rtucker 9/17/2005 6:42:58 PM

So let me get this straight; You you have one setting for "stock", or do you have aprrox 10,000 settings for "stock".
#############################################################################

Mr. rtucker,

You are correct. If I traded every individual stock available, I would find every one of those issues cycles (short, intermediate and long term), then I would set my period paramaters to match what cycle I plan to trade by on this particular issue. This allows a more precise view of what it is doing. This is not possible when trading many low priced issues as they are IMO manipulated, controlled or whatever term you prefer to attach to them.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #38046
Ignore alf44
9/18/2005 10:48:19 AM

If you don't have ONE chart set-up...for ALL securities...for ALL time-frames...you don't have a "chart set-up". What you have is a mess !

There has to be consistency. imo

alf44

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #38049
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/18/2005 11:34:23 AM

Alf... I agree one should standardize their charts and reports.

That's why I created the BASIC FILTER DISPLAY, STOCK DASHBOARD, WARM FILTER DISPLAY, etc...

Standardization allows you to process the information quicker because you know where the data will be each time... in the exact same location!

da-net
55 posts
msg #38059
Ignore da-net
9/18/2005 8:05:37 PM

Hi Gene,

Please accept my apology for posting this on the thread you started and own. I originally intended only to answer the question you posed about a month ago that no one else cared enough to answer. I did not forsee that giving a simple honest answer would lead to an adversarial discourse. This will be my last post on your thread. I am posting this so that others may judge for themselves as to the validity of what I do and where it can be researched. Again, PLEASE accept my apology.

TO THE OTHERS:

First, I respect your right to your opinion.

Perhaps you could shed some light on something. Why would someone ignore the mountain of evidence presented to them by some of the foremost experts in the field of technical analysis and continue using "one size fits all” indicator/oscillator settings? Some of those experts were the people that brought them to the world. Like:

Andrew Cardwell; the foremost authority on RSI. His use of multiple time frame settings. His views of bull market vs. bear market RSI numbers, and MA on indicators. His views of incorrect use of Bullish & Bearish Divergences as presented at the 20th Annual TAG Conference in Las Vegas 1998 and in his training courses.

Barbara Starr, PHD and her work redefining the Buy/Sell rules of CCI and its use as presented at the 20th Annual TAG Conference in Las Vegas 1998.

Constance Brown and her work on cycles, trend lines, Fibonacci projections, Gann, and RSI as presented at the 18th TAG conference in New Orleans 1996, her books "All about Technical Analysis" and "Technical Analysis for the Trading Professional". The last book is required reading for CMT certification. Not to mention her "CMB Derivative Oscillator" that was presented in the MTA publication, and her live multi-day training courses. She also uses MA on indicators.

Joe DiNapoli and his work with Fibonacci Retracements and Projections and how to use it to project price and time. This work was presented at the 19th TAG conference in Las Vegas 1997, the 18th TAG conference in New Orleans 1996 and in his books, video and training courses.

Linda Raschke and her 3-10 Oscillator, which she states, is MACD with customized time frames and MA. This was presented in Active Trader Magazine March 2004.

George & Cairie Lane; father of Stochastic. Presented at TAG 17 and TAG 21 Las Vegas 1995 and 1999 where they discussed the importance of time cycles and adjusting the time parameters of Stochastic on the particular market you are trading. The proper interpretation of overbought/oversold parameters. Also the use of Slow & Fast Stochastic on the same chart.

John Crane in his book and DVD "Advanced Swing Trading" shows the need to know the current time cycle for proper use and application of his A-R-C trading method and others.

John Bollinger; father of Bollinger Bands. Presentation at 18th Tag Conference New Orleans 1996 where he showed how to quickly find the current time cycle so that those numbers could be used to customize the Bollinger Bands settings to yield more accurate results. What oscillators to use or not use with BB.

Steve Nison (brought eastern candlestick charting to the west). His settings for Stochastic and how he uses it.

Sherman & Tom McClellan; father of the McClellan Oscillator and the McClellan Summation Index. Presented at TAG the proper interpretation of the McClellan Summation Index, and the improper divergence interpretation of A/D as it relates to the NYSE composite.

I can understand some possible reasons for ignoring the overwhelming evidence. It could be fear. It could be ignorance. It could be stubbornness. It could even be an unwillingness to change habits. As for me I will not join the "Default Indicator Settings Club" as Constance Brown calls it. I have seen the light and refuse to trade in darkness anymore! You have the right to do what you want.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #38060
Ignore alf44
9/18/2005 10:54:21 PM

da-net,

You need to lighten up !

First..."adversarial discourse" ? There is NO "adversarial discourse" !!!

Second..."Default Indicator Settings Club" ? NO ONE...I repeat NO ONE ever suggested that !

and...

Thirdly...I'm familiar with most everyone on that list of yours (some more than others) and I know with near certainty that they aren't switching and changing indicator parameters to try and fit some subjective nebulous cycle ! For you to suggest otherwise is misleading to say the least !

And, by the way...with the possible exception of LBR, Cardwell and DiNapoli most of those names prolly couldn't trade their way out of a bag and are...for the most part...book authors and professional lecturers ! And yes...that includes George Lane...the "so-called inventor of Stochastics".

You can huff and puff all you want...but, the fact remains...

...If you don't have ONE chart set-up...for ALL securities...for ALL time-frames...you don't HAVE a "chart set-up" !!!

What you have is a BIG MESS !!!

You have to have consistency !!!

Regards,

alf44

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #38064
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/19/2005 10:16:14 AM

"Andrew Cardwell; the foremost authority on RSI. His use of multiple time frame settings. His views of bull market vs. bear market RSI numbers, and MA on indicators. His views of incorrect use of Bullish & Bearish Divergences as presented at the 20th Annual TAG Conference in Las Vegas 1998 and in his training courses. "

Wouldn't Wilder be the foremost authority on RSI since he invented it?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #38066
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/19/2005 10:37:46 AM

"You can huff and puff all you want...but, the fact remains...

...If you don't have ONE chart set-up...for ALL securities...for ALL time-frames...you don't HAVE a "chart set-up" !!!

What you have is a BIG MESS !!!

You have to have consistency !!! "

I agree consistancy is desirable... However, sometimes it is beneficial to tweak the indicator settings for different time frames. I use rsi(2) on the 15 minute, 60 minute, daily, weekly and monthly but I use rsi(10) on the 1 minute chart.

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Stochastics setting<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.