StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Stochastics setting<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
alf44
2,025 posts
msg #38067
Ignore alf44
9/19/2005 11:50:07 AM

I use RSI(10) w/EMA(30) overlayed on it...on all securities...on all time frames !

I use a MACD(3,10,16)...on all securities...on all timeframes !

I use an ADX(10)...on all securities...on all timeframes !

I use EMA(10)...EMA(30)...EMA(150)...all securities...all timeframes ! The beauty of this EMA set-up is that it allows me to look at different trend lengths whether I'm staring at a Daily Chart or a Weekly Chart.

For example:

An EMA(150) on a Daily...is the same as looking at an EMA(30) on a Weekly ! I can see what the 30 Week EMA is doing without actually pulling up a Weekly Chart. If I DO pull up a Weekly Chart, an EMA(10) on a Weekly...is the same as looking at an EMA(50) on a Daily Chart ! I can see what the 50 Day EMA is doing without actually pulling up a Daily Chart. On the Weekly chart I can also see what the 30 Week EMA and the 150 Week EMA are doing. These are very important MA's to be looking at, in the opinions of many (Vic Sperandeo chief among them). This EMA set-up allows me to see Daily Trends AND Weekly Trends and important key MA relationships without constantly changing things.

As for Andrew Cardwell...I'm a huge fan ! While it IS true Wilder invented the RSI indicator(and imo has prolly contributed more than anyone else in this area of technical indicators. ADX, ATR, Par. SAR etc...) Cardwell has developed some concepts that add to the usefulness of RSI in ways Wilder never described. His methods for "Trend Determination" and "RSI Range Shift" in Bull/Bear Markets are important refinements to the RSI indicator that anyone using RSI needs to be aware of. imo

Anyway...to each his own I guess. I stick by what I said though. You have to/need to have a consistant look. And contrary to what was said earlier...I feel sure most of the people on that "list" would agree with that ! You have to stick with a small group of indicators and decide on a set of parameters or you will NEVER get a "feel" for what you are really looking at. There's not necessarily more "magic" in one set of parameters vs. another...it's a trade-off. A trade-off between earlier signals or less noise ! You can't be constantly checking what one does here...and another does there ! It's meaningless ! When the time comes to make a trading decision...what's it based on ? Period !

Regards,

alf44

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #38072
Ignore nikoschopen
9/19/2005 2:04:47 PM

In my never humble opinion, it would thus be stated as "Never curve-fit your obsolete views". I meant your charts. (All things considered, puns fully intended)

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #38081
Ignore nikoschopen
9/19/2005 6:50:29 PM

Alfy,

You came up with some very sane notions which I echo in unison. However, having read few of your previous posts, you made it seem as if you follow a large number of filters yourself. What's the difference between curve-fitting your charts on however different situation you find yourself in and being mired in numerous charts beyond recollection? I don't mean to disparage anyone for keeping a large number of filters. But if we're on the subject of consistency, at least we should truly own up to its definition.

rtucker
318 posts
msg #38083
Ignore rtucker
modified
9/19/2005 8:32:21 PM

d

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #38088
Ignore alf44
9/19/2005 10:07:00 PM

who the hell is "Alfy" ?

Grow up !

alf44

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #38100
Ignore nikoschopen
9/20/2005 1:49:22 PM

Gelgene,

By now I'm sure you've lost all appetite for this thread since nobody cared to answer your question in the first place. As for my coarse palate, might I add that everybody is self-proclaimed RSI(2) afficionados but has no idea when it comes to stochastics -- so it seems. Well, have them roll with their RSI while we rock with our Stochs.

Here's my 2-cents when it comes to using stochstics. I use two stochastics, one over another (not superimposed). The parameters I use are Slow Stochastics (7,3) & Slow Stochastics (39,1). You can reference Stockcharts.com for more information on Slow Stochastics (39,1). Basically SS(7,3) is used as a short- to intermediate-term vehicle and SS(39,1) as a long-term instrument. For a bull play, what you're looking for is an overbought SS(39,1) -- over the reading of 70 -- with the SS(7,3) emerging out of the oversold territory. For a bear play, the opposite holds. Look for a oversold SS(39,1) while the SS(7,3) starts to drop below the overbought line. How simple is that? Believe it or not, this also works on intraday charts as well.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #38101
Ignore nikoschopen
9/20/2005 2:05:01 PM

Alfy,

"Grow up"? As if evading the very questions that were addressed to you isn't bad enough, to unnerve your own fragile emotion with that tongue-in-cheek attitude doesn't bode so well.

By the way, I should point out that the filter you posted with the Sum() indicator isn't exactly the filter you orignally wanted. In it, all you're doing is adding up previous 4 days & dividing it by 4 to derive the average. However, that average does not mean, by your own proposition, that the "a "Measuring Bar" whose High is HIGHER than EITHER the Open OR Close for EACH of the subsequent 4 days". Or is it?? If you have a open way way above the median (or average) and another open way way below the median, in essence, you will get an average of the two somewhere close to the median. But that does not mean those two were in fact remotely close to the median. Take it or leave it, that filter still needs work -- with or without my help.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #38102
Ignore alf44
9/20/2005 2:15:50 PM

who the hell is "Alfy" ?

Grow up !

alf44

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #38103
Ignore alf44
9/20/2005 2:25:38 PM

...and for the record...

...the filter DOESN'T need work !

I conceded in that thread that I was not able to contruct the filter as I had originally defined. Neither were you ! I came up with a passable proxy for what I was after. AND...my filter comes closer to accomplishing what I was after than anything you posted. BTW, you don't need to explain My filter to ME ! I wrote it...remember ?

"jaketheguy" succeeded where I failed...where you failed...where RumpledOne failed. The filter he wrote and posted was really dead on ! I told him so ! Case closed ! So what seems to be your problem...exactly ?

Grow up !

alf44

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Stochastics setting<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.