StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Swing trade, momentum trend reversal<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Venice
82 posts
msg #89200
Ignore Venice
modified
3/6/2010 9:50:32 AM

Enjoy...

Fetcher[

Show stocks where average volume(30) > 50000
and price > 1
and ADX(30) < 25 1 day ago
and +DI(30) > -DI(30)
and +DI(14) crossed above -DI(14)
and open > EMA(21)
and high 1 day ago < Parabolic SAR(0.01,0.1) 1 day ago
and low > Parabolic SAR(0.01,0.1)
and low > open 1 day ago
and volume > volume 1 day ago
and DeMarker(14) > .3
and draw williams %r(14)
and draw rsi(5)
and draw MACD Histogram(12,26,9)
do not draw ADX(30)
do not draw DeMarker(14)

]

thyname
16 posts
msg #89225
Ignore thyname
3/6/2010 10:11:04 PM

Hi Venice, I have been following your most recent posts - excellent! Could you please explain the logic behind your filter? Thanks! thyname here.

Venice
82 posts
msg #89256
Ignore Venice
modified
3/8/2010 9:52:11 AM

Hi Thyname, not a problem.

The biggest power of this filter comes from the ADX / PSAR. The PSAR let's me know that a temporary trend reversal is occurring. Notice I use the .01 and .1 values for the PSAR, rather then the standard .02/.2.

The next piece is the ADX. You will notice I use two separate numbers for this. ADX(30) < 25 let's me know that over the last 30 days, the stock trend has been weak. The stock direction is unknown with this indicator right now - just that it has been trading with a rather weak trend.

+DI(30) > -DI(30) - (Also ADX) - I want to know that our trend, albeit weak, is starting to gain strength again.

+DI(14) crossed above -DI(14) - The shorter term trend strength is growing as of today, also short term trend reversal confirmed by the open being over the EMA(21)

and high 1 day ago < Parabolic SAR(0.01,0.1) 1 day ago
and low > Parabolic SAR(0.01,0.1)
~This is just my way of gathering the flipping of the SAR to the bottom side. Is there a shorter way to do this?

and low > open 1 day ago
and volume > volume 1 day ago
~ Higher lows and higher volume from the previous day

Also looking for stocks with a decent amount of average volume, and I like to stay out of the penny stocks.

For this scan, it averages returning 0-10 stocks a day, and expected time frame from buy to sell is 1 - 10 days. Have not formulated an exit strategy yet. The stocks that show up in this scan generally have gapped up the day they appear. We are just trying to ride that momentum. Have a defined exit point, because those that do fall, are going to fall hard. Right now mine is 4% with this scan.

The neat thing about this scan is it has the potential to almost always hit at least 2%, and, for instance, I would have pulled in a 12% on DDS If i would not have sold Thursday. The rest is just up to find the right timings and get in on the low of the day for your buy in period.

thyname
16 posts
msg #89267
Ignore thyname
3/8/2010 1:52:32 PM

I appreciate your reply and detailed explanation. Any resources you recommend for me to learn about different scans and building them? Do you have a blog?

Venice
82 posts
msg #89275
Ignore Venice
3/8/2010 4:09:00 PM

Nope and nope ;) Still learning myself -- I have just been scouring the internet for the last 6 months reading, reading, and more reading.

Find certain scans you like, write down your buy in price, and check them periodically. Paper trading is the best way to start out, so you don't end up cleaning out an account like so many of us have done time and time again.

Venice
82 posts
msg #89276
Ignore Venice
modified
3/8/2010 4:11:54 PM

One stock that I am highly interested in that showed up in this scan today is CTIC... I am not going to enter it because this is the first time I have seen a chart look like it looks show up in this scan... but she is going to fly one way or the other. It consolidated all day today from 10:30 on. Tomorrow could be very interesting to watch indeed. Wish I had a little bit of gambling funds available ;)

thyname
16 posts
msg #89280
Ignore thyname
3/8/2010 6:47:09 PM

Hi Venice, thanks again for the reply. I tend to look for short-intermediate terms picks (swing) trades, as I have a day job to attend. Try not to daytrade, unless stopped out. I look at weekly and daily charts, as well as 30 min to define entry. I think I am past the phase of "cleaning up my account" as I have learned to control and limit losses. I have yet to learn how to manage profitable existing positions. I will check your scan periodically, as I replicated in "my filters". I wish there was a function on this site to track and follow all yours posts and work.

I have noticed that some other people in here line Chetron, MOBRien and kevin are pretty good in building those scans. I am a new user with the stock fetcher. I also follow several people in StockTwits.com, a great site to get real time posts.

ultra5150
15 posts
msg #89293
Ignore ultra5150
3/9/2010 12:53:38 AM

Is there a particular entry signal to look for with this scan? or you will have to watch the action throughout the day? Thanks.

lillian
26 posts
msg #89314
Ignore lillian
3/9/2010 10:53:46 AM

@Venice - CTIC went up ~30% yesterday. Its down 5% today. FDA decision is scheduled for 3/22. Some activity in Europe overnight, but nothing that made it move.

raviram80
30 posts
msg #89470
Ignore raviram80
3/12/2010 10:14:41 AM

Hi Thyname,

I have a similar situation as yours as in day job to attend. Can you please elaborate a little bit what do mean

"I look at weekly and daily charts, as well as 30 min to define entry"

How do you pick your entry?

Do you place your orders overnight or you place it during the day?

Is there any specific time of the day when entering would pick up the lowest price or I mean relatively lower price?

Thanks

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Swing trade, momentum trend reversal<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.