StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · THE FAKE AND THE GAIN FILTER.....<< >>Post Follow-up
chetron
2,817 posts
msg #56705
Ignore chetron
modified
11/12/2007 7:35:37 PM

HI ALL,

Fetcher[

/* TACHIKAWA */

APPLY TO SYMLIST(AAPL,BIDU,RIMM,GOOG)

SET{VAR3,HIGH - OPEN}
SET{VAR4,OPEN - LOW}

SET{THE_GAIN,MAX(VAR3,VAR4)}
SET{THE_FAKE,MIN(VAR3,VAR4)}
SET{VAR6,CMA(THE_FAKE,5)}
SET{VAR7,CMA(THE_GAIN,5)}

SET{VAR5,VAR6 * 100}
SET{F:G_RATIO,VAR5 / VAR7}

ADD COLUMN THE_FAKE
ADD COLUMN THE_GAIN
ADD COLUMN SEPARATOR
ADD COLUMN CMA(THE_FAKE,5) {AVG_FAKE}
ADD COLUMN CMA(THE_GAIN,5) {AVG_PROFIT}
ADD COLUMN SEPARATOR
ADD COLUMN F:G_RATIO

DRAW CMA(THE_FAKE,5) ON PLOT THE_FAKE
DRAW CMA(THE_GAIN,5) ON PLOT THE_GAIN

VOLUME > 1000000 AND CLOSE > 2

SORT COLUMN 6 DESCENDING

]

I WAS JUST SITTING HERE, OVER ANALYZING WHAT TRO WAS SAYING ABOUT GIVING UP 1% IS TOO MUCH PROFIT LOSS, JUST GIVE THEM A DIME, SO I THOUGHT WHY GIVE THEM A DIME, NOT THAT I AM GREEDY OR ANYTHING, SO I THOUGHT HOW MUCH DOES IT TAKE A STOCK TO MAKE A COMMITMENT. WHAT I DID NOTICE SORTING ON THE F:G RATIO COLUMN, THE COMMITMENT CAN BE PRETTY SMALL, BUT THEN I SORTED THE SAME COLUMN DESCENDING AND NOTICED THAT WHEN THE F:G RATIO IS HIGH, WHY SHOULD YOU CARE WHICH DIRECTION IT GOES.

THAT'S MY QUESTION TRO,
IF YOU LOOK AT THE SYMLIST OUTPUT, AT LEAST TODAY, IT LOOKED LIKE YOU COULD HAVE SOLD SHORT AND BOUGHT LONG AT THE OPEN, WITHOUT CARE OF DIRECTION, YOU WOULD STILL GET YOUR .10 ON BOTH. DO YOU EVER DO THIS, TRO.

I MEAN, WOULDN'T YOU ALWAYS GET THE BIG WIN. ONE SET OF 1000 GETS THE .10 AND THE OTHER 1000 GETS 5.00. YOU WOULD ALWAYS GET A GOOD PAY OFF!?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56708
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/12/2007 10:38:18 PM

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #56712
Ignore chetron
11/13/2007 6:28:50 AM

thank you.

welliott111
98 posts
msg #59383
Ignore welliott111
1/29/2008 8:32:49 PM

chetron,

I am interested in your Fake/Gain filter and wondering if you are currently using this in trading. I am also interested in your order selection on this trading style. Do you go long AND short with an automated stop loss, or do you watch the market and use mental stops?

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #59385
Ignore chetron
1/29/2008 11:12:25 PM

welliott111,
i have not been trading this filter. the idea i was working with was to enter the trade @ the price of the Open +/- the fake and a penny. i was thinking of picking those stocks with high gain and very low fakes.

i had an idea that if the fake and the gain were both high, then you could just enter the trade @ the price of the Open +/- a penny and you should make your profit twice, each way.

i have tried to short stocks, with little success. i use ameritrade. when i try to short stocks, my transactions are always delayed while they review it, which is very unsettling. i have only been doing long entries, in general.

welliott111
98 posts
msg #59398
Ignore welliott111
1/30/2008 4:15:22 PM

Thanks for the response chetron, I was looking at the concept of the Low F:G ratio and "Close 1 day ago"( for those of us who can't watch the open) instead of High F:G ratio and "Open". Seems the lower ratio stocks "usually" tend to break long OR short.

Ex. Buy long and sell short same stock with a tight(?) stop loss on both, one gets stopped out while the other runs.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #59407
Ignore chetron
modified
1/31/2008 7:01:11 AM

actually, no stops. you buy 1000 share long and sell 1000 shares short and liquidate them once you get your Open + .10. when the ratio is high, it shows that a stock's price travels just as low below the open as it travels above the open. all that is left is to figure how many shares you need to buy to take advantage of it. you set your sell/buy to cover limits to open + and - .10, respectively.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · THE FAKE AND THE GAIN FILTER.....<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.