StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · The New Elder Thread<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
arby347
87 posts
msg #63876
Ignore arby347
6/17/2008 11:54:34 AM

Riggs set a foundation, I believe, for many of us that were not acquainted at all with Elder to make money. Maybe rather than criticism he should receive thanks. Whatever reasons he had for pulling his posts are his own unless he chooses to share them at some time. This should not stop our forums from exploring and further developing the Elder methods.

I just finished reading Elder's "flagship" book, "Trading for a Living". It would be nice if the rest of you who are interested within our community also have this knowledge Chapters 8 and 9 are the core of his contributions. Most of the rest of the book are not indigenous to him and many of us know much of it, however his thoughts on many indicators are interesting.

I am hoping that this forum becomes a place to share knowledge of this topic and ways of combining elements of it with other methods within filters that seem to be working for individuals.

My quest is more swing trading oriented. I am a teacher and during the school year need to put in orders during non-market hours.

Stockfetcher has place the Elder force index as one of our indicators. I am suggesting here that they make the Elder Ray an indicator also. Riggs and others have already contributed to simulate it with a filter, but it would be advantageous to use as a stand alone indicator.

In the spirit of "full disclosure" I want to say that I am by no means an expert on this or in SF coding. I am hoping that there are others, including Riggs, that are
here within our community who will answer or attempt to answer questions and concerns.

Here is my first question to our "experts:

In Elder's Triple Screen System the first screen is for "Market Tide" This is is basically determining the trend of a stock. Elder suggests uptick on a weekly MACD,he Directional system, stochastic,and 4-5 day Williams %R as possible methods.What would be good filters for determining trends? Maybe the best ones have already been posted in SF.

jimhbutton
104 posts
msg #63880
Ignore jimhbutton
6/17/2008 12:41:13 PM

arby347,

I like the spirit of your post arby347.

I, for one, am ordering Elder's "Trading for a Living" because of Riggs' endorsement and because I'm all for expanding my trading arsenal.

As for WSG (aka "The Mighty Riggs"): Grasshopper, in lightning-like move of right hand attempted to snatch pebble from Sensei Rigg's palm, but palm was empty!

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #63892
Ignore chetron
6/17/2008 6:05:34 PM

try this.....

http://beta.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1002&tid=39158&qrid=&isiframe=

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #63893
Ignore luc1grunt
6/17/2008 6:15:43 PM

Great post Arby and thanks for taking a lead.

I have read Elder's books, but never fully applied the triple screen for one reason or another. Always looking for another "swing" method though!

Let's hope this thread stays on track and produces some "ego-less", positive contributions.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #63895
Ignore TheRumpledOne
6/17/2008 7:46:10 PM

Thanks Chetron

Fetcher[

Set{Bullpower, high minus ema(13)}
Set{Bearpower, low minus ema(13)}
set{BLb,days(BullPower is above BullPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BLa,days(BullPower is below BullPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BLxBL, BLa - BLb}
set{BRb,days(BearPower is above BearPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BRa,days(BearPower is below BearPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BRxBR, BRa - BRb}

set{vbb5,bearpower 1 day ago}
set{vbb1,vbb5 * .90}
set{vbb2,vbb5 * 1.103}
set{vbb3,count(bearpower < vbb2,1)}
set{vbb4,count(bearpower > vbb1,1)}

set{vbb15,bullpower 1 day ago}
set{vbb11,vbb15 * .90}
set{vbb12,vbb15 * 1.103}
set{vbb13,count(bullpower < vbb12,1)}
set{vbb14,count(bullpower > vbb11,1)}

set{vbb113,count(bullpower < vbb15,1)}
set{vbb114,count(bearpower > vbb5,1)}

set{var23,vbb113 1 day ago}
set{var24,vbb114 1 day ago}

set{var21,vbb113 + var23}
set{var22,vbb114 + var24}
set{trigger,var21 + var22}

draw bearpower on plot bullpower
draw vbb114
draw vbb113

rsi(2) < 30
williams %r(2) < -50
volume > 10000
close above .3
bullpower < bullpower 1 day ago
bearpower > bearpower 1 day ago
1 day slope Linear Regression(60,1.0) > .030
bearpower 1 day ago < bearpower 2 day ago

chart-length is 2-months

Draw RSI(2)
Draw Williams %R(2)

add column trigger
ADD COLUMN SEPERATOR
add column BLxBL
add column BRxBR
ADD COLUMN SEPERATOR
add column RSI(2)
add column Williams %R(2)

sort column 5 descending

]

Fetcher[

set{vvol,avgvol(90) * 1.75}

draw bearpower on plot bullpower

williams %r(2) 1 day ago < williams %r(2) 2 day ago
williams %r(2) 1 day ago < williams %r(2)
williams %r(2) between -0.00 and -51
williams %r(2) 1 day ago below -48
bearpower above 0

add column williams %r(2)
add column vvol

close > .3
volume > vvol
vvol > 100000
sort column 5 descending

]

Fetcher[show stocks where close is above 2
60 day slope of close is above 0
draw Bollinger Bands(20)
set{BLb,days(BullPower is above BullPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BLa,days(BullPower is below BullPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BLxBL, BLa - BLb}
set{BRb,days(BearPower is above BearPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BRa,days(BearPower is below BearPower 1 day ago,100)}
set{BRxBR, BRa - BRb}
Bullpower has been decreasing the last 1 day
Bearpower has been increasing the last 1 day
Bearpower is below 0
Draw Bullpower
Draw Bearpower
add column BLxBL
add column BRxBR
average volume(90)is above 100000
volume is above 100000
sort column 6
date offset 2/15/06

/* NORMALIZE accumulation distribution */

set{adval, INDPOSITION(accumulation distribution, 60) * 100 }

/* NORMALIZE momentum(12) */

set{moval, INDPOSITION(momentum(12), 60) * 100}

/* NORMALIZE CCI(14) */

set{ccval, INDPOSITION(CCI(14), 60) * 100 }

/* NORMALIZE williams %r(10) */

set{wrval, INDPOSITION(williams %r(10), 60) * 100 }

/* DRAW THE MP CCIWLR CHART */

and draw wrval
and draw adval on plot wrval
and draw moval on plot wrval
and draw ccval on plot wrval

add column adval
add column ccval
add column moval
add column wrval

adval is between 82 and 94
ccval is Below 30
moval is Below 30
wrval is Below 30
]

arby347
87 posts
msg #63901
Ignore arby347
6/17/2008 8:47:49 PM

Riggs, many years ago I was an undergraduate majoring in psychology and someone noted that multitudes of people who wrote and interpreted Freud never read anything he wrote, just other people's works about him.

As I said, it would be nice if everyone who is interested in this topic read at least
"Trading for a Living". Are any of his other books worth reading also?

Obviously I am very interested in this otherwise I would not be trying to revive discussion and sharing.

Riggs, I am sure that Jimhbutton and me are not the only ones who were interested in what you were contributing. I hope you see it fit to bury the hatchet, ignore negative postings and help those of us who are trying to find something that will be useful.

On the contrary to what was posted, I would think that if you gave trades in real time that you could have been accused of security law violation if you preceded
the recommendation with trades.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #63903
Ignore nikoschopen
6/17/2008 9:24:53 PM

Quote from arby347:

On the contrary to what was posted, I would think that if you gave trades in real time that you could have been accused of security law violation if you preceded the recommendation with trades.

I believe ure taking this way out of context. WSG simply made the post, albeit a belated one that has only further damaged his credibility, in response to Alfies challenge (or accusation depending on how you look at it). Even if WSG recommended the stock outright, I doubt anyone other than the noobs would have accepted his calls at face value, especially with such a time lag. But then again, that seems to be the norm around here.

arby347
87 posts
msg #63904
Ignore arby347
6/17/2008 9:37:37 PM

Niko, I was under the impression that some were asking to post without a time lag, that might be verboten if you are registered in the business.

It seems like there is a "history" of conflicts among some of the super contributors that goes back awhile.

From my point of view I have learned and been helped before by you, maxreturn and others that post frequently and come up with super filters time and time again.

Maybe some sort of peace can be struck and we all can get out of SF forums what we are seeking.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #63912
Ignore alf44
6/18/2008 12:42:10 AM

You keep tellin' yourself that lil buddy !!!

Regards,

alf44

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #63914
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
6/18/2008 1:16:05 AM

"On the contrary to what was posted, I would think that if you gave trades in real time that you could have been accused of security law violation if you preceded
the recommendation with trades. "

What is wrong with some of you new people? I'm not here to give you people trades! That's not what my thread was about! It was an educational thread period! I only gave you people some plays to prove a point to that numskull Ralph! Not to be your financial strategist for god sake! Geez louiz people...

The only reson the trades were delayed, was because unlike most of you here...I trade for a company, and don't have time to play live! Most of my posts are "delayed", in that, I most of the time answer posts late at night like this one, and I stick them into an e-mail file until the next day. Then when I'm at my desk during a free moment, I begin to unload what I wrote at oppotunistic times during the day here at SF. I've already challenged the best here at SF! But not one single person I've challenged (TRO, NIKO, Ralph44 etc...) wants anything to do with me! But I've always done it(challenged them) in the spirit of educational purposes. So give me a break about "live trades" already. I'm the best here, and every single person knows it!...they wont want to admit it...but I'm okay with that. So, if anyone want's me "live?".....put your $money$ where your mouth is....hows that for "credibility?" I'm all ears....

Also, If my boss Russell thought for a second that I was playing around on SF intraday, I'd be fired! But he's quite familiar with SF...see, he hired me to trade for him after seeing my GENIUS filters on E-BAY about 2 years ago. So he knows how I do things intraday on SF. He knows "Avery (TRO)", and knows "Ralph Mouth (Alphie)" only too well! He see's EVERYTHING I do here, and loves reading my educational threads from time to time. So get a grip people! I'm not here to make you money....I'm here to spread the good "teachings" of THEMIGHTYRIGGS! You might get punched in the mouth in the proccess....but when you wake up...you'll be better off for it!

- WALLSTREETGENIUS -

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · The New Elder Thread<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.