StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Tight range - Same lows - close near lows<< >>Post Follow-up
ChizzleMeTimbers
36 posts
msg #92921
Ignore ChizzleMeTimbers
5/20/2010 9:17:07 AM

I am trying to create a filter but I can not and I would love help.... chet or any of the big dawgs on here id love your help if you have time... simple filter...

Just want to see stocks that have narrowed in their daily range over the past 5 days ... and the lows in this range (5 days) are all within .03 cents ... and the stock has closed within the bottom 25% of the day on these days

in truth, id love a filter where I can have it be narrow range past 5 days (compared to the previous 20 days lets say)

and the last 2 days lows have all been within .03 cents ......... and have closed in bottom 25% of the day range

thank you very much boys and good luck

dwiggains
441 posts
msg #92933
Ignore dwiggains
5/20/2010 2:35:11 PM

Hi
Fetcher[
set {Range, atr (5) / atr (20)} add column Range and Range < .5
Close > 1 and volume > 90,000
set {a, high minus low}
set {b, close minus low}
set {bottom25%, b / a} add column bottom25% and sort column 6 ascending
]

Range last 5 days is less than half of the previous 20 day range.
Adjust as you want.

and bottom25% is sorted so close is near bottom.

I have tried something like this before and it seems when you get the range to low you
get a lot of odd stocks.

Hope this helps.

See ya
David

ChizzleMeTimbers
36 posts
msg #92997
Ignore ChizzleMeTimbers
5/21/2010 12:58:24 PM

thank you SO much for the fast response

the filter you wrote has one problem.. a huge part of the scan is finding the stocks that have made a low for 3 straight days that are all within .03 cents .... heres a better way for me to explain it

stock : STP on 5/11 - 5/13 the lows those days were 10.98 and 10.99 and 11.00

the stock also closed at the bottom of its range for those days, but you have taht coded properly i believe

do you think you can add a line to the code taht would include the "has made a low within .03 of the previous x days lows"

the thing is i do not know the code tat will make that way but this is absolutey huge for me adn for this filter... this is how i make my dinero... and its not as simple as it looks, you need to be sitting there TRADING these setups but yeah i love your help and i would love to help you if i can
god bless thanks

dwiggains
441 posts
msg #93033
Ignore dwiggains
5/22/2010 10:13:23 AM

Hi
Here is my best shot --

Fetcher[

Close > 1 and volume > 90,000
set {a, high minus low}
set {b, close minus low}
set {L1, low minus low 1 day ago} and L1 < .03 and L1 > -.03
set {L2, low minus low 2 days ago} and L2 < .03 and L2 > -.03
]

You may want to relax some of the qualifyers

Range maybe a little bigger and bottom25%

Good Luck
See ya
David

ChizzleMeTimbers
36 posts
msg #93060
Ignore ChizzleMeTimbers
5/23/2010 10:34:38 AM

thanks again my friend

can you tell me what this line is doing? would i change the 2nd line under here for the "bottom of the range" because clearly this is just showing a bunch of merger/arb deals etc so i need to tweak that "25%" bottom close idea right

dwiggains
441 posts
msg #93098
Ignore dwiggains
5/24/2010 4:46:12 PM

Hi

This line is comparing the average true range over the last 5 days with the last 20 days.
Range < .5 means a lot less stock movement. ( I would move this to around maybe .8 ??)

This line divideds the close minus low (b)
by the range of the day high minus low (a)
then we sort column 6 ascending so that you get the closes close to the bottom range first.

Good luck
See ya
David

ChizzleMeTimbers
36 posts
msg #93132
Ignore ChizzleMeTimbers
5/25/2010 1:11:37 PM

thanks for the help, this could be great when i get to tweak it... for the reverse AKA resistance or the highs are the same its the exact opposite right? high minus high then +.04 is the only change right

guymar
113 posts
msg #93187
Ignore guymar
modified
5/27/2010 2:20:58 AM

Hi Chizzle, I saw the results and honestly I don't think you can trade those results. An alternative to your approach is to use a more dynamic set of rules, where you use Bollinger Bands and Keltner Bands to identify stocks in breakout territory, this ALWAYS works, the snag is that you don't know in which direction the breakout will take place (and very often it is accompanied by a Head Fake):

Fetcher[set {Keltnerdelta, Upper Keltner Band(20,1.5)-Lower Keltner Band(20,1.5)}
set {KeltnerBW, Keltnerdelta/Center Keltner Band(20,1.5)}

show stocks where Bollinger width(20,2.0) is below KeltnerBW and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above 20

draw KeltnerBW on plot Bollinger width(20,2.0)

set{alpha, relative strength(SPY,5) + relative strength(SPY,35)}

add column alpha
sort on column 5 descending

set {5periodhigh, CMA(high,5) }
set {5periodlow, CMA(low,5) }
set {35periodhigh, CMA(high,35) }
set {35periodlow, CMA(low,35) }
set {5periodavgdouble, 5periodhigh + 5periodlow }
set {35periodavgdouble, 35periodhigh + 35periodlow }
set {5periodavg, 5periodavgdouble / 2 }
set {35periodavg, 35periodavgdouble / 2 }
set {getosc, 5periodavg - 35periodavg}

Draw getosc

draw MACD Fast Line(12,26)
draw MACD Slow Line(12,26) on plot MACD Fast Line(12,26)
draw RSI(14)
draw Momentum(10)
draw CEMA(Momentum(10),5) on plot Momentum(10)

ADD COLUMN SEPARATOR
add column industry
ADD COLUMN SEPARATOR
add column PE
add column EPS
]

I have added a relative strength measure as well and the results are ranked by relative strength. In order to optimize the search there is also a flavour with a stochastic, so you should be able to get the start of a move:

Fetcher[set {Keltnerdelta, Upper Keltner Band(20,1.5)-Lower Keltner Band(20,1.5)}
set {KeltnerBW, Keltnerdelta/Center Keltner Band(20,1.5)}

show stocks where Bollinger width(20,2.0) is below KeltnerBW and Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above 20

draw KeltnerBW on plot Bollinger width(20,2.0)

set {5periodhigh, CMA(high,5) }
set {5periodlow, CMA(low,5) }
set {35periodhigh, CMA(high,35) }
set {35periodlow, CMA(low,35) }
set {5periodavgdouble, 5periodhigh + 5periodlow }
set {35periodavgdouble, 35periodhigh + 35periodlow }
set {5periodavg, 5periodavgdouble / 2 }
set {35periodavg, 35periodavgdouble / 2 }
set {getosc, 5periodavg - 35periodavg}

Draw getosc

draw MACD Fast Line(12,26)
draw MACD Slow Line(12,26) on plot MACD Fast Line(12,26)
draw RSI(14)
draw Momentum(10)
draw CEMA(Momentum(10),5) on plot Momentum(10)

set{alpha, relative strength(SPY,5) + relative strength(SPY,35)}

add column alpha
sort on column 5 descending

ADD COLUMN SEPARATOR
add column industry
ADD COLUMN SEPARATOR
add column PE
add column EPS
add column ROE
]

This does the same thing you wanted to achieve but uses all the built in smoothing and power of the Keltner and Bollinger approach. Enjoy.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Tight range - Same lows - close near lows<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.