StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · What filters are we actually using to initiate buying or selling?<< >>Post Follow-up
SFMc01
358 posts
msg #118865
Ignore SFMc01
3/31/2014 8:19:06 AM

Hundreds, if not thousands, of filters have been introduced here. They evoke some follow up and then usually, after a few days, discussion goes on to other things. My question is What filters are we actually using to initiate buying or selling?

Are any of the filters discussed here actually used as the decision tool to buy or sell a stock ... Either by itself or in conjunction with other specific criteria?

Would any readers please share the specific filter and decision criteria they use to initiate a trade?

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #118876
Ignore SFMc01
3/31/2014 1:47:55 PM

I'll lead off with one of the things I do. I have a filter that I both plagerized from one posted in SF and combined with others from SF and of my own.

In words, I search for stocks that have a Bullish Engulfing Candle that follows a Doji candle that follows a clear downtrend.

I also use a Watchlist of stocks rated "Strong Buy" on "Dividend Channel" (www.dividendchannel.com) AND are all actively paying dividends AND are not within 2 days of paying or have paid a dividend. Few stocks are identified daily and, often, none. . I manually look at each chart to assure that it displays what I thought I was selecting. I check the "Dividend Channel" on each stock for yield and Ex Date because SF and no service seem to be 100% accurate on these.

B4 the market opens I look at where the mini-futures are trading as an indicator of how the market will open. If the market appears to be opening down, I may or may not buy that morning. I never sell short with this filter. I have TRO's MTC statistics built into my filter so I can gain a sense of how the stock performs after the opening of the market. I then decide whether to buy at open, buy at open if market is up or whether to not trade at all at the opening. Sometimes, determined daily, I may add other WatchLists to the filter. In general, that's it.

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #118877
Ignore SFMc01
3/31/2014 1:55:07 PM

I forgot the following. I often/usually place a ProfitStop of 1/2% and do not use a Stop Loss because these are stocks I would be willing to buy for the Long Haul. If the stock is being held at the end of the day and is profitable, I sell out because I am a trader using margin and not an investor using this strategy. Rather than doing this automatically, most of the time I will try and evaluate whether I want to keep holding for overnight or longer.(Remember, these are all Dividend Paying stocks highly regarded by most brokers.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · What filters are we actually using to initiate buying or selling?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.