StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bb filter<< >>Post Follow-up
riker
3 posts
msg #33715
Ignore riker
10/28/2004 1:34:33 PM

I would welcome any suggestions to improve on this filter. I am trying to pick stocks trending up that are ready to move and following the upper bb right after it has narrowed. I am fairly new and just learning to write these so I am sure it could be improved on

Fetcher[bollinger(20) width near 8 month low 2 days ago
and lower bollinger band(20) has been decreasing over the last 1 days
and upper bollinger band(20) has been increasing over the last 1 days
and close is near upper bollinger(20)
and close is between 2 and 20
and average volume(90) is greater than 80,000
and 60 day slope of the close is above 0
volume is greater than volume 1 day ago
]

thanks

yepher
359 posts
msg #33775
Ignore yepher
10/31/2004 8:21:07 PM

riker,

I noticed no one had replied to this thread so I thought I would give it a shot.

I am not exactly sure how to improve your filter in terms of better hits but you might consider writing it like this.

Fetcher[
bollinger(20) width near 8 month low
AND bollinger band(20) width increasing
AND close is near upper bollinger(20)
AND close is between 2 and 20
AND average volume(90) is above 80000
AND LRS(60) is above 0
AND volume is increasing
]

This should yeild results that are very near the results that your original filter had with the addition of a few extra symbols that will get through the initial squeeze criterea.

You may also be able to leverage "%B" in place of "close is near upper bollinger(20)" although you probably won't get much better than what you already have for that line.

Another thing I notice is that you have implied volume types of indicator with "volume is increasing". You may find better results by using MFI or some other volume based filter.

I personally think you have done a good job of not poluting the filter by adding addional price action indicators and would advise you to keep it that way.

I am certainly not the authority here on technical analysis here. I do hope you find some of this useful.

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #33779
Ignore kgriffen
10/31/2004 9:18:37 PM

This is what I use to build a watch list:

Fetcher[ /* Parameters */
Bollinger Width(20,2) reached a new 6 month low within the last 5 days
weekly slow stochastics(4) fast % K is above weekly slow stochastics(4) slow %d
weekly slow Stochastics(4) fast % K is below 75
close crossed above Upper Bollinger Band(20,2)

/* Variables */
set {b100, Bollinger Width(20,2)*100}

/* Charting */

/* Columns */
add column b100 {BBandW}

/* Price Volume Limits */
price is greater than 1.00
volume is greater than 100000
]

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #33781
Ignore kgriffen
10/31/2004 9:21:26 PM

. . . I also use a volume indicator like Intraday Intensity or MFI along with a standard MACD(12,26,9) on the chart to find good candidates. You can also remove the "close over upper BB" to fill a watchlist that could play stocks either way.

riker
3 posts
msg #34146
Ignore riker
11/26/2004 11:20:17 AM

thank you I appreciate your help.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bb filter<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.