StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · gap prediction based on gains?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
johnnyvento
51 posts
msg #65383
Ignore johnnyvento
7/24/2008 1:32:09 AM

Can someone please help me write a few filters. I'm trying to decide whether single day percentage gain on a stock is a predictor of whether it will gap up the next day. I would like to look at relatively high single day gains like 25%, 35% or 50%. Also I would like to see whether having a high average day range makes a difference or not. Also a price between $1 -$10 would be nice for the test.

So in words, I need help writing a filter that I can backtest for the following:

25% single day gain stocks- percentage of gap uppers next day
35%......etc
50%......etc

likewise adr can be taken into account:

25% single day gain stocks/ with average day range(10) > 8: percentage gap uppers next day
35%.....etc
50%.....etc

Is it possible to make a gap prediction filter or not? That is the question.

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #65389
Ignore guru_trader
modified
7/24/2008 2:35:58 AM

yes, it's possible ... i'm sure someone will beat me to it

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #65390
Ignore guru_trader
modified
7/24/2008 3:06:55 AM

will work on this later

johnnyvento
51 posts
msg #65405
Ignore johnnyvento
7/24/2008 10:42:26 AM

thanks guru

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65412
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
7/24/2008 1:39:15 PM

Johnny -

The very best way to "predict gaps" has always come off the "Bollinger(10) Squeeze." Look for squeezes that have a positive Weekly RSI(2), and make sure price or the open is near the bottom band, and also incorporate FI(2) increasing as well as Slow Stochastics(5,3).

I like to look for companies with this set-up that are about to report earnings. That's 1-5 days prior to earnings. These are the best candidates for major pops. Look at MMM, BG, and GR today (7/24/08) all coming off a squeeze on a down day. Look for gap DOWNS tomorrow for the likes of...CMO, CELG, and EMN.

Now, understand that earnings as a whole, (nationally) isn't going to be very positive, so take advantage of all the gap "downs" as much as posible. Just reverse the technicals above. It's as simple as that.

- WALLSTREETGENIUS -

johnnyvento
51 posts
msg #65428
Ignore johnnyvento
7/25/2008 12:26:01 AM

also, if anyone is willing to help me write the filter, I would like a way to test each individual stock for the percentage of gap ups when it has made a certain criteria gain (a variable that can be changed)

thanks to the programmers!

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65440
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
7/25/2008 11:40:06 PM

thanks to the programmers!

...you're welcome!...

arby347
87 posts
msg #65445
Ignore arby347
7/26/2008 2:23:33 AM

What RIGG's SAID????
Fetcher[
Show stocks where lower bollinger band(10) has been increasing over the last 3 days
and upper bollinger band(10) has been decreasing over the last 3 days

Show stocks where close is near lower bollinger band(10)

RSI(2) > 0

Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K has been increasing over the last 3 days
fi(2) > 0 has been increasing over the last 3 days
]

arby347
87 posts
msg #65446
Ignore arby347
7/26/2008 2:31:33 AM

Better:
Fetcher[
Show stocks where lower bollinger band(10) has been increasing over the last 3 days
and upper bollinger band(10) has been decreasing over the last 3 days

Show stocks where close is near lower bollinger band(10)

RSI(7) > 0

Slow Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K has been increasing over the last 3 days
fi(2) has been increasing over the last 3 days
]

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65467
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
7/26/2008 7:16:13 PM

"What RIGG's SAID????"

arby -

you didn't get those filters from me! I don't know where you got them, but those filters look about as dumb as "Johney's" criteria question in post #1 in this thread! LOL...Please don't put my name on something like that again okay?...

- RIGGS -

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · gap prediction based on gains?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.