StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · high returns on small stocks<< >>Post Follow-up
stmintz
4 posts
msg #32546
Ignore stmintz
7/10/2004 9:13:06 PM

Stock
Fetcher[close dropped more than 20% and ema(2) is approaching ma(3) from below and date offset is 0]

The backtesting on this looks great. I wonder if anyone can help with this filter by adding anything which would narrow the results down.

Stock
Fetcher[close dropped more than 20% and ema(2) is approaching ma(3) from below and date offset is 1]

Sean Mintz

chessnut1
58 posts
msg #32553
Ignore chessnut1
7/11/2004 6:58:42 PM

stmintz,

So glad you posted about this! I too recently noticed the power of the ema(2)/ma(3) crossover (and the slightly less sensitive ema(3)/ma(5) crossover). It is a very useful and sensitive reversal indicator, and can be successfully added to ANY favorite filter, such as a Bollinger band squeeze, a bottom "muddy"-type filter, a modified Darvas Box filter, etc, to find stocks that have just experienced a bullish price reversal.

However, sensitive is the key word here with the ema2/ma3. I am finding that this is its strength and it's weakness. When you open up any chart and note the crossovers, it becomes evident how sensitive this indicator is, which means it generates a number of "false positives" as well as true reversal points.

So how to keep the power of this early indicator and also minimize the false-positive effect? The solution I've come to is to use a slightly higher crossover setting on my charts -- ema3/ma5-- while maintaining the super-sensitive indicator in the lower portion of my PN charts in the form of the rsi2/rsi3 crossover introduced long ago by HolyGrail. The rsi crossovers corresponds 100% with the ema2/ma3 crossovers, so nothing lost. This way I can have the more reliable (but still very sensitive) ema/ma lines on my upper Prophet.Net charts, and not have to clutter them with 2 more lines to get the more sensitive crossover indicator working for me. [With PN, when you add an ema or ma indicator, it automatically places it in the upper chart area, and it doesn't appear as if it can be placed in the bottom indicator area].

If you happen to be a member of TXTrapper's bottomlines group(http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/bottomlinestocks/?yguid=179439516), or if you join, you will notice my recent posts about the ema3/ma5 (msg 1101 and 1105) and the reference to ema2/ma3 as more sensitive (msg 1149). I posted what I did because like you, I was very exited to discover this tremendously useful and reliable crossover. I highly recommend it.

--BJ

chessnut1
58 posts
msg #32554
Ignore chessnut1
7/11/2004 8:17:58 PM

... meant to add that the stochastics turn-up/crossover is the other way I try to reduce the fals positive effect. I'm sure the MACD could be used as well.

--BJ

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · high returns on small stocks<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.