StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · is it possible to scan for Standard Deviation in BB's?<< >>Post Follow-up
markcrisp
187 posts
msg #47859
Ignore markcrisp
11/7/2006 6:41:16 AM

See subject line. Can this be done?

Say you wanted to find a B.B. standard deviation 3...what would I write?

Thank you

rharmelink
81 posts
msg #47870
Ignore rharmelink
11/7/2006 6:21:20 PM

Is something like this what you're asking for:

Bollinger Bands(50,3.0)

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #47871
Ignore maxreturn
11/7/2006 6:33:04 PM

Mark, the following filter identifies stocks whose closing price is more than 3 standard deviations above OR below the 20 period moving average:

Fetcher[set{x, count(close above upper bollinger band(20,3),1)}
set{y, count(close below lower bollinger band(20,3),1)}
set{z, x + y}
show stocks where stock is optionable and z above 0 and draw bollinger bands(20,3)
]

I'm assuming this is what you wanted. If you have any questions, please ask.

Regards
Max

markcrisp
187 posts
msg #47875
Ignore markcrisp
11/8/2006 5:02:47 AM

Hey thanks guys. Great help.

Trouble is I have no idea what the scan means?

Does this mean a 50 day B.B. standard deviation 3?

Bollinger Bands(50,3.0)

Obviously I need to biuld more of a filter around this...

Thanks again

Mark

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #47876
Ignore maxreturn
modified
11/8/2006 2:37:11 PM

Hello Mark. Yes, the second parameter allows you to choose the number of standard deviations that the upper/lower bollinger bands will be above/below the moving average. The first parameter allows you to choose the number of periods for the simple moving average. So....

bollinger bands(20,3) will plot a 20 period moving average, an upper band which is 3 standard deviations above the 20 period moving average and a lower band which is 3 standard deviations below the 20 period moving average.

Regards
Max

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · is it possible to scan for Standard Deviation in BB's?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.