StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · profit checker - long only<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
drew9
171 posts
msg #55756
Ignore drew9
10/16/2007 6:40:48 PM

Hi Avery, the way the original filter was written, it can really be used anytime during the day that price crosses the open by 10 cents. I am assuming the filter is written for 100 days but some hit 97-99 times. So this means that the price at least rose from the open or crossed over later in the day - nearly every day! Either way this can work but I was wondering how you trade it? Do you just trade at the open or watch during the day for a long or short entry that crosses the 10 cent threshold. Also, how do you handle the stop losses? It does not appear they are needed much but when would you exit the trade?

Regards,

Drew

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55764
Ignore TheRumpledOne
10/16/2007 11:29:36 PM

Hi Avery, the way the original filter was written, it can really be used anytime during the day that price crosses the open by 10 cents. I am assuming the filter is written for 100 days but some hit 97-99 times. So this means that the price at least rose from the open or crossed over later in the day - nearly every day! Either way this can work but I was wondering how you trade it? Do you just trade at the open or watch during the day for a long or short entry that crosses the 10 cent threshold. Also, how do you handle the stop losses? It does not appear they are needed much but when would you exit the trade?
================================================

The filter is NOT to be used during the day. Run it when the market is closed to find the stock(s) you plan to trade.

Enter the trade when the price enters the long zone or short zone.

You can do this anytime during the day. AAPL had at lease 4 quick trades in the first hour. Or you could have played the gap fill and taken over a buck on that one trade.

Stop losses? The trade handles itself... the zones are 20 cents apart... if you are long and the price drops below the open then you are down at least 10 cents... 10 more cents and you are hitting the short zone when the candle is red... that's the short trigger. Why would you stay long when you should be short?

Yes, the filter looks at the last 100 days... SF maximum. Otherwise, I would run it for whatever the max was...lol More data for stats that way.

Just look at AAPL on a 5 minute chart with a horizontal line at the open price. This trade should be self evident... don't trade this way until it is!!

Feel free to ask questions.

drew9
171 posts
msg #55765
Ignore drew9
10/17/2007 12:28:32 AM

Avery, can I ask your experience trading this during the first few minutes of trading? 10 cents on these stocks can go in an instant. Do you get whipsawed often and how are the fills? How bad are the spreads during the first few minutes?

Thank you,

Drew

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55770
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
10/17/2007 8:08:33 AM

Drew:

You have to be quick. It is that simple. You can't cry over profits you could have had if only you would have waited a bit longer.

This style of trading is like playing a video game. Hand/eye coordination and quick reflexes are what makes the money. You do NOT have time to think or plan.

You already know what to do when the price is in the zone... LOCK AND LOAD, FIRE AT WILL.

You blink or hesistate, YOU LOSE.

It is THAT SIMPLE.

Spreads? Fills? If you have those types of concerns then this is not for you. Just watch the price action on AAPL for the first 30 minutes and if you "SEE IT", then join in tomorrow, otherwise keep watching until you "see it". But if you do NOT "see it", don't trade this method.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55774
Ignore TheRumpledOne
10/17/2007 9:38:41 AM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

See what you can do in about 7 minutes?

maxbasily
57 posts
msg #55777
Ignore maxbasily
10/17/2007 12:25:10 PM

thx Rumpled!!! EXTREMELY friendly of you...
any thoughts about the ideas I´m playing around with?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55778
Ignore TheRumpledOne
10/17/2007 12:38:51 PM

No, Max, not at all.

The BuyZone works AS IS.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55779
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
10/17/2007 12:46:08 PM

5 Minute Chart AAPL

Do you "see it"?

Here's a 1 minute view:

maxbasily
57 posts
msg #55780
Ignore maxbasily
10/17/2007 12:58:58 PM

well Rumpled, I guess there´s one last question remaining for your buyzone "master filter":

I. what´s the greatest number of whipsaws you experienced "before" you locked in the 0.5 profit? - and, how often are there 3 (-0.2) stops in a row before a 0.5 gain comes in?

are HERE also the statistics on our side ??..

also: if you trade all positions manually...how do you manage - quick switching back and forth?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #55781
Ignore TheRumpledOne
10/17/2007 1:53:23 PM

Q. I. what´s the greatest number of whipsaws you experienced "before" you locked in the 0.5 profit?

A. THAT'S NOT HOW I TRADE... I WILL BE IN/OUT FOR A PENNY IF THAT'S ALL I CAN GET. IF THE PRICE STALLS, I AM USUALLY OUT OF THE TRADE.

Q. - and, how often are there 3 (-0.2) stops in a row before a 0.5 gain comes in?

A. THAT'S NOT HOW I TRADE.... I WOULD BE OUT WHEN THE PRICE STOPS GOING MY WAY.

Q. are HERE also the statistics on our side ??..

A. THIS IS BASED ON STATISTICS - PURE AND SIMPLE.

Q. also: if you trade all positions manually...how do you manage - quick switching back and forth?

A. I USUALLY ONLY TRADE ONE STOCK AT A TIME. SAME STOCK ALL DAY LONG, DAY AFTER DAY, WEEK AFTER WEEK, MONTH AFTER MONTH UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES. AAPL IS THE ONLY STOCK YOU NEED TO TRADE.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · profit checker - long only<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.