StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · using DPO<< >>Post Follow-up
dlaposky
6 posts
msg #95422
Ignore dlaposky
8/5/2010 9:11:58 PM

I have been trying to develop a filter using the DPO and wish to get stocks that have crossed above 0 in the last 3 days. I can't get this to show any stocks. It only works if I use 11 days. Anything less gives no results. Any thoughts. Here's the filter I have tried and it doesn't seem to work.

show stocks where the DPO(20) 3 days ago crossed above 0

four
5,087 posts
msg #95424
Ignore four
8/5/2010 10:07:34 PM

There is a lag. Notice nothing "prints" on the display until 11 days ago.

For example, you can do greater than 11 days...

Fetcher[
show stocks where the DPO(20) 15 days ago crossed above 0
and close is above 5
and average volume(30) is above 500000
]

dlaposky
6 posts
msg #95442
Ignore dlaposky
8/6/2010 9:14:29 AM

Why is there a lag with this indicator? On my TOS platform the DPO always has a current value. Any thoughts.

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #95450
8/6/2010 9:45:57 AM

Please see the note on the help page for this measure:

Detrended Price Oscillator (DPO)

The Detrended Price Oscillator(DPO) used on StockFetcher uses a forward shifted MA, as described/detailed in Steven Achelis' "Technical Analysis from A to Z". The last n/2+1 days of the measure will not exist due to the nature of the formula.

StockFetcher Support

dlaposky
6 posts
msg #95469
Ignore dlaposky
8/6/2010 11:14:38 AM

It seems as if the way stockfetcher calculates it makes it a fairly useless indicator. Is there some reason
they don't calculate it like TOS. to make it a more relevant indicator.

campbellb75
101 posts
msg #95474
Ignore campbellb75
8/6/2010 11:46:09 AM

I agree. It seems rather useless with such a large lag time. Is there a way to make it consistent with ToS?

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #95476
8/6/2010 11:57:51 AM

We strongly urge you to compare with other online charting services that support this measure to verify implementation. For example, StockCharts.com and Prophet.net (now Investools.)

In fact, here is an excellent discussion/explanation from StockCharts.com on this very issue:

When Shifting to the Right is Wrong - the DPO Indicator Controversy

If you are simply looking to compute the current close using the lagged MA, then you could always use:

Fetcher[
set{my_dpo, close - MA(20) 11 days ago}
close is above 5.00
and average volume(30) is above 250000
draw my_dpo
]

However, as the original measure is defined (and given we do not have data from the future) it is impossible to compute the DPO for the last n/2 + 1 days.

StockFetcher Support

dlaposky
6 posts
msg #95484
Ignore dlaposky
8/6/2010 1:12:24 PM

Thanks for the help and the explanation. I will use the new script you provided as it matches what I get on TOS.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · using DPO<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.