StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Automation<< >>Post Follow-up
Dan-o
19 posts
msg #58983
Ignore Dan-o
1/14/2008 8:45:04 PM

Does anyone use an Excel spreadsheet with a DDE feed to automate their trading? I'd like to write a Visual Basic program to automate entry and exit based on an Excel sheet. Does anyone have any good reference material? I'm pretty good with Excel, but just a beginner with Visual Basic. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan-o

guru_trader
485 posts
msg #58984
Ignore guru_trader
1/14/2008 10:30:49 PM

Why not use XLQ or AnalyzerXL to help with your datafeed and then code around that?

traderrmr
7 posts
msg #59014
Ignore traderrmr
1/15/2008 6:12:41 PM

I am very interested in this subject. Does anyone know the specifics on how to automate their trading? how does the date get converted in API?
What data feeds would be needed?

drew9
171 posts
msg #59016
Ignore drew9
1/15/2008 8:44:05 PM

I use Omni Trader Professional. They have a feature called Integrated Brokerage. This is all done visually on the chart. Just drag a chevron where you want to enter the order and it will manage the trade based on your parameters. I use Interactive Brokers and it uses their API. I could not find much on this piece on their website but it is very cool. (omnitrader.com). Only issue I have had is you need a relatively new computer as it is very CPU intensive. Just have to keep the number of symbols within reason. I do plan on upgrading to a new system soon.

Dan-o
19 posts
msg #59042
Ignore Dan-o
1/16/2008 3:14:28 PM

Thanks for your input, everyone. What I plan on doing is using results of SF screens to generate my daily list of names to trade. From there, I'll be using a really simple rules based system which I feel could be put together pretty easily using, say, an eSignal feed. I'd really like to code it myself just for the experience.

Thanks,

Dan-o

traderrmr
7 posts
msg #59095
Ignore traderrmr
1/18/2008 6:15:14 AM

Drew. Are you setting technical parameters. Can you set it to for example (Buy if a stock hits a RS 2 and short a RS 99). Or will is trade MA Cross overs? Thanks in advance.

drew9
171 posts
msg #59115
Ignore drew9
1/18/2008 12:52:03 PM

They do have that functionality with an add on product called Omni Pilot. It uses Visual Basic and I do not have much time to learn it. I use the chart feature where you can set a price such as just above or under the price. It also allows you to use the same functionality with trend lines. Just draw a line on the chart and if broken by a certain threshold, it will buy or sell and then manage the trade automatically. (Nice to use now for when the market ever returns to the upside.) What I like to do is use SF for my set ups and then use Omni Trader to enter at the appropriate point and then manage the trade once I am in.

drew9
171 posts
msg #59116
Ignore drew9
1/18/2008 12:58:07 PM

Dan missed your prior message. I use E-Signal to feed Omni Trader. You only need this if you plan on trading real time. If end of day, Omni Trader has their own feed. Omni Trader keeps the order hidden which is a nice feature and only when the the order is triggered is it sent to Integrated Brokers. They also currently support MB Trading for a broker.

drew9
171 posts
msg #59118
Ignore drew9
1/18/2008 1:13:19 PM

One last thought, there is another product that perhaps you have heard of called Cool Trade. I have used it in the past and it was nice as well. For trading the automated technical set ups, it is perfect. I like the trade management features better in Omni Trader though.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Automation<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.