StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Charts logarithmic!?!? Difference<< >>Post Follow-up
jayzz
45 posts
msg #65842
Ignore jayzz
8/5/2008 4:42:31 PM

hi..

I compared SF charts to another, and the volatility seems much lower on every stock on the stockfetcher charts??

I used same time frame (1 year) and logarithmic scale..
Actually the charts were a lot different in a strange way..¨
little confused here..

Thanks for answers, comments..

trek
72 posts
msg #65850
Ignore trek
8/5/2008 6:28:39 PM

jayzz,

Log scale is based on the percentage move of the price and linear scale is a fixed scale with equal spacing of prices. So if you look at a stock like ABK that has dropped so much in the last year, it looks more volatile on the linear scale than it does on the Log scale.

Hope this helps,

trek

trek
72 posts
msg #65852
Ignore trek
8/5/2008 6:37:35 PM

jayzz,

sorry, I see that you said you used log scale for both, I don't know what the difference in SF would be. I copied the phrase straight from the user guide and it appears to still be in Linear form.

trek

jayzz
45 posts
msg #65866
Ignore jayzz
8/6/2008 1:57:43 AM

aha..

For f.ex. finding trends, with about 1 year time frame,
would you recommend linear or logarithmic charts?
What does most traders use?

Thanks..

trek
72 posts
msg #65877
Ignore trek
8/6/2008 10:01:54 AM

jayzz,

I personally use linear but sometimes will look at both if the stock has moved a lot.

For example look at ABK for the last year. The drop looks more dramatic on the linear scale than the log scale, but ABK seems to be making a bottom now which is hard to see on the linear scale unless you move to a shorter time frame. By using the log scale it shows up on the chart better.

Hope this helps,

trek

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Charts logarithmic!?!? Difference<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.