StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Day traders May I ask you?<< 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 >>Post Follow-up
luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #58075
Ignore luc1grunt
12/13/2007 12:00:58 PM

Niko, like I said, it was an analogy. It placed scalpers, daytraders, swing traders, position traders, and institutional traders in the context of a pond with the scalpers feeding off of scraps all the way up to the whales gulping massive positions. It was fun and I'm sure you posted it....I'll continue the search. Thanks, Grunt.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #58076
Ignore EWZuber
12/13/2007 12:11:16 PM

With a good day trading system you will leave a lot less on the table than you would just holding a stock for a swing trade and you are not exposed to the uncertainty of opening gaps which have been wild lately and seemingly unpredictable.
All those intraday fluctuations that the swing trader ignores, the daytrader makes money on.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #58079
Ignore nikoschopen
12/13/2007 1:40:58 PM

That largely depends on how good a swinger you are. I doubt that daytrader can beat a swinger who is able to catch the entire range, however difficult that may be. Daytrading entails lesser risk than swing trading, but less risk also means less reward.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #58090
Ignore EWZuber
12/13/2007 5:20:26 PM

Not necessarily. There are day traders that bringing in triple digit to quadruple digit returns annually on a regular basis.
I know if I could day trade at will I would be taking in 3X what I am now. Because I am restricted by PDT rule and am forced to leave most of the money on the table.
I see lots of intraday trades get set up but the only ones that I can participate in are the ones that I have determined will continue to move through to the next session. All of the big swings I see intraday that are shorter term, I have to let them pass.
Thats a ton of money out the window. Not to mention all the intraday swings in positions that I already hold that I have to just sit through and watch that money slip through my fingers.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #58094
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/13/2007 5:46:52 PM

" Because I am restricted by PDT rule and am forced to leave most of the money on the table. "

Increase your account size to over $25,000 rule and then that restriction is gone.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #58096
Ignore nikoschopen
12/13/2007 6:45:30 PM

Or trade the options or the single stock futures.

Be that as it may, to catch the monster rallies in their entirety is easier said than done, especially in hindsight. I have yet to meet any trader who can do this on a consistent basis. It's also worth noting that rarely will you encounter rallies that shoot straight up or drop straight down. There will always be counter trends large enough to stop you out before you even know it. Of course, the most ideal thing to do is to sell just before the counter move and then buy it back as the rally gets under way again. But how realistic is that?

BEVIL1
14 posts
msg #58111
Ignore BEVIL1
12/14/2007 1:59:25 AM

I'm a newnewbee what is the PDT rule for day trading?
bevil1

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #58112
Ignore luc1grunt
12/14/2007 7:06:50 AM

BEVIL1
- Ignore BEVIL1 12/14/2007 1:59:25 AM

I'm a newnewbee what is the PDT rule for day trading?
bevil1

Pattern Day Trader.......go to investopedia or search your broker's site.

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #63013
Ignore 13th_floor
5/23/2008 6:28:54 PM

"What % return you get on average per month on your account? "
"I do not want to hear about those who claim to make 100%+ per month every month (if that was the case you would be worth about $1 trillion dollars by now).... :-)"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Then Mark you don't want to hear from me but anyway you will.

I've averaged a little over 100% a month for the last 4 months.
Whether I can keep this pace up is yet to be seen.
Don't know if I can but sure gonna give it a go.

BTW, I don't compound it so I'm not gonna be a trillionaire ( soon anyway:)

rtucker
318 posts
msg #63021
Ignore rtucker
5/24/2008 7:47:50 AM

Congrats..............Very , very nice 13th....keep it up along with your helpful postings...

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Day traders May I ask you?<< 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.