StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Everyone Short B4 Bernanke's speech tonite?<< >>Post Follow-up
karennma
8,057 posts
msg #57177
Ignore karennma
11/29/2007 3:08:39 PM

Hmmmmmm?
Or is that a bad thing to do ... ?

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #57197
Ignore nikoschopen
11/29/2007 9:26:52 PM

My retarded advice is that when the interest rate is slashed down to zero, zip, nada, which Bernanke is more than qualified to do so, then bet ure farm against the Fed.

Cheers!

marine2
963 posts
msg #57207
Ignore marine2
11/30/2007 1:13:56 AM

Last time the Fed lowered their rates consitanty a few years back look what it did, it created a huge wave of buyers into the market, it created mass home buyers, mass home improvement buyers, many many businesses went wild with profits. Look what the stock market did, it went straight up. Hey, it's election time folks do you really think the Government wants our markets to crash, I don't think so. Enjoy the ride.

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #57251
Ignore betyerbottomdollar
11/30/2007 6:07:05 PM

Sometimes I read.

The latest book I read was Greenspan's tome, The Age of Turbulence. In it, Greenspan describes the volatility of the markets due to the rate changes.He explains how, after a few surprise increases that rocked world markets in the nineties , they decided to ease people into it by dropping hints way before. If the general consensus is that there will be a rate cut, you can bet it was planned that way to soften the impact.

Maybe M4M was right and the market will be bullish for the rest of the year.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #57265
Ignore nikoschopen
11/30/2007 9:16:30 PM

If we will indeed get the rate cut, it's already baked into the price. There was a knee-jerk reaction in the after-hours trading to Bernanke's much expected comment about a possible rate cut, but nothing even remotely comparable to what we got on Tuesday was ever seen during the regular trading hours. Moreover, the S&P 500 failed to close above the key resistance at 1490 that must be broken before the perennial bulls like M4M can declare a decisive victory.

It remains to be seen where we'll end up on Monday, which also happens to be the first trading day of the month that often attracts buyers. Should the market nosedive on Monday, however, you can kiss this rally goodbye.

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57283
Ignore curmudgeon
12/1/2007 10:26:59 AM

I wonder how much of the volatility we've seen of late is related to the death of the old short rule. Nobody benefits from that more than a quant machine.

I kept thinking there was a group of freaking retards who kept buying like, well, retards on acid every time the market move sharply downward. Then it dawned on this tard that it isn't people....it's emotionless machines.

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #57478
Ignore betyerbottomdollar
12/3/2007 8:44:27 PM

Yo Niko, if the reaction to the possible rate cut is already baked into the price, does that mean that when (if) the cut comes there will not be any obvious reaction? Is that a characteristic of "efficient market theory"? I always wondered about that...

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #57482
Ignore nikoschopen
12/3/2007 9:02:24 PM

Back in 2001, as Greenspan started agrgressively slashing rates, the market popped for about a week or two before continuing its downward spiral. Needless to say, as a daytrader I don't care which way the market moves. If it goes up, I'm long; if down, I'm short. But I think Bernanke's "magic pill" is running out of its charm. In my opinion, he's only delaying what's inevitable.

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57500
Ignore curmudgeon
12/4/2007 1:26:17 AM

Looks pretty inevitable to me.
http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc071126.htm

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Everyone Short B4 Bernanke's speech tonite?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.