StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · FYI: When Good Traders Lose<< >>Post Follow-up
guru_trader
485 posts
msg #56583
Ignore guru_trader
11/9/2007 5:53:44 AM

Source: http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2007/11/when-good-traders-lose.html

When Good Traders Lose

Good traders lose money. They also go through slumps. I've seen it with people who have made millions for multiple years running. What makes them good traders is, in part, how they lose. Here are three qualities I've seen in good traders who go through rocky periods:

1) They're quick to identify when their ideas aren't working - They don't fight the market, and they don't become threatened or defensive. Rather, they quickly enter a mode where they look at what's working, what isn't, and what they can do about it. They accept that there will be periods when they see things well and periods when they don't.

2) They're quick to de-lever - They get smaller when they realize their trading isn't working. They avoid digging large holes for themselves, but they also don't stop trading. By trading smallest when they're having the most trouble and largest when they're seeing things clearly, they leverage their strengths.

3) They're patient in regaining their feel - They keep trading small until they have a good understanding and feel for what's going on. They don't press to catch up and make money; they ride out the storm and take minimum damage. Because they've been through this before, they know that their time will come--and that helps them sustain patience.

The traders who are most at risk are those that fight markets, trade larger or more often to recapture lost money, and can't stay out of the water when conditions are unfavorable. All traders lose money; it's how you trade when you're down that makes all the difference.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56595
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/9/2007 8:48:28 AM

Thanks for sharing.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #56615
Ignore nikoschopen
11/9/2007 11:54:16 AM

Guru,

Thanks. This is perhaps the best article I've seen to date. I can certainly relate to the "blindness" that plagues the trading community, and this must be more evident among the day trading camp. There are days when I feel practically invincible, being able to see the charts clearly. Then there are days followed by utter blindness that not only degrades my performance but leaves me completely demoralized.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · FYI: When Good Traders Lose<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.