StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Headline NEWS...<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
rtucker
318 posts
msg #64823
Ignore rtucker
7/9/2008 9:42:41 PM

What a joke this is. The plunge protection boys hard at work?

............From a reliable source...............

"First to the "great news" - Alcoa "beat" estimates - 66 cents versus 65 cents. So the seals cheer "better than expected". It's a joke. 90 days ago Alcoa was expected to do 77 cents, 60 days ago that was lowered to 75 cents, 30 days ago it was lowered to 73 cents, and JUST A WEEK AGO it was 68 cents. So they would of missed ALL these estimates. Only in the past few days (by miracle - not) the analysts were "guided" to push their numbers to 65 cents, and TA DA - we can have the seals crying with joy over the "better than expected" number. YEE HAW Cowboy."

miketranz
956 posts
msg #64827
Ignore miketranz
7/9/2008 11:48:50 PM

I use news as an opposite indicator.The better it gets,the more I worry.What good news is telling me is someone wants to dump stock on me.I want to buy the bad news,when someones wants to buy stock from me.Thats the time to be long a position,after the public sells out,and that time is nearing.........

rtucker
318 posts
msg #64905
Ignore rtucker
7/12/2008 10:51:50 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/11/news/companies/indymac_fdic/?postversion=2008071121

FYI

marine2
963 posts
msg #64949
Ignore marine2
7/13/2008 4:01:28 PM

Maybe, Wallstreetgenius, can comment on this and we can learn from his views.

TrendSurfer
109 posts
msg #65042
Ignore TrendSurfer
7/16/2008 11:43:38 AM

The Herd is the group of traders acting as a group. This group, are most usually uninformed, non-contrarian, and will believe what they read in the headline news, what the TV says and what their brokers tell them. Thus they act as a group would under certain circumstances, they mob together and act on the most popular notion of the day.

This group easily gets locked into the market just as the market turns against them, they become reluctant to sell because they would show an immediate loss so they "hope, wish and pray" that they were right and they can exit their positions with no losses. Then finally they wash out, fear fresh in their minds, frozen for just long enough to miss the nice moves. And begin it all over again...

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65044
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
7/16/2008 1:19:44 PM

I use news as an opposite indicator.The better it gets,the more I worry.What good news is telling me is someone wants to dump stock on me.I want to buy the bad news,when someones wants to buy stock from me.Thats the time to be long a position,after the public sells out,and that time is nearing.........

This really needs to be addressed. Tell me something Mike...with all the "bad news" in financials...are you "buying" from all those sellers? Of course you're not! You'd be a fool! All this "bad news" in ALL the markets, is nothing more thas mass panic. I'ts not a game any one group is playing with you, rather it's the bi-product of a long awaited bear market finally showing it's sharp teeth!

I have a banner above my wall monitors in my trading room that says...LIQUIDATE!, LIQUIDATE, LIQUIDATE! As your stocks gain in $Price$, you should ALWAYS be taking frofits off the table anyways. I'm talking at least every .50 on large caps, and at least .25 on small caps. "News" of ANY kind should NEVER stand in your way of decision making. While I do advacate using "news" to your advantage, I would also like to say that the media isn't some insider secret organization that knows something that WE should know ourselve's!

The info the media has, is the very same info WE have at our disposal. If you can read a company's ballance sheet, know it's cash flow, and what insider traders are doing consistantly with that company...then YOU should know everything you need to know BEFORE any kind of news comes out to begin with! In other words, if you are buying on technicals alone, you deserve any kind of "bad news" that might come your way. But again, that "bad news" is nothing more than a "long awaited" correction to begin with...not some neonazzi, stock market crushing, agenda driven organization. Trust me on this...it's "news" and nothing more.

- WALLSTREETGENIUS -

miketranz
956 posts
msg #65056
Ignore miketranz
7/16/2008 6:11:12 PM

Mr Genius,you misunderstood me.When a market sells off,there's no conspiracy.In reality there's alot more sellers than buyers,fueled by "bad news",and extreme pessimism.Add short positions on top of that,and panic sets in.You see it all the time like clockwork.What I'm saying is,the time to buy is when price starts reverting back to its mean.......

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65060
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
7/16/2008 8:38:15 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Mike, because one can read your post, and not get that message all together. You now sound like a seasoned market analyst. Nice up man....

- RIGGS -

miketranz
956 posts
msg #65064
Ignore miketranz
7/16/2008 9:25:26 PM

Riggs,my humble title really is "student of the market".........

FuriousThug
256 posts
msg #65122
Ignore FuriousThug
7/17/2008 3:33:03 PM

Probably something to pay attention to...explains the artificial inflation the past two days...hedgies spooked perhaps?

SEC Enhances Investor Protections Against Naked Short Selling
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2008-143
Washington, D.C., July 15, 2008 - The Securities and Exchange Commission today issued an emergency order to enhance investor protections against "naked" short selling in the securities of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and primary dealers at commercial and investment banks.

The SEC's order will require that anyone effecting a short sale in these securities arrange beforehand to borrow the securities and deliver them at settlement. The order will take effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Monday, July 21. In addition to this emergency order, the SEC will undertake a rulemaking to address these issues across the entire market.

"The SEC's mission to protect investors, maintain orderly markets, and promote capital formation is more important now than it has ever been," said SEC Chairman Christopher Cox. "Today's Commission action aims to stop unlawful manipulation through 'naked' short selling that threatens the stability of financial institutions. We will continue our vigorous commitment to investors by working within the SEC and in close cooperation with our regulatory counterparts to promote the continued health and vibrancy of our markets."

The Commission's emergency order, pursuant to its authority under Section 12(k)(2) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, will be effective at 12:01 a.m. ET on July 21, 2008 and will terminate at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 29, 2008. The Commission may extend the order to continue it in effect thereafter if the Commission determines that the continuation of the order is necessary in the public interest and for the protection of investors, but for no more than 30 calendar days in total duration.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Headline NEWS...<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.