StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How to use the VIX to trigger a buy or a sell<< >>Post Follow-up
binhp
71 posts
msg #52055
Ignore binhp
6/7/2007 1:22:26 PM

I am trying to use the VIX as a trigger to start a buy or a sell.
What is the the symbol of the VIX in SF or SF2.0 ?

Thanks

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #52056
Ignore karennma
6/7/2007 1:48:38 PM

If SF had that feature, I would imagine it would be ^VIX.

binhp
71 posts
msg #52059
Ignore binhp
6/7/2007 4:01:05 PM

I tried all the followings and none work:

^VIX
$VIX
VIX

Stockfetcher, do you have any idea ?

bp

glgene
613 posts
msg #52061
Ignore glgene
6/7/2007 4:24:38 PM

Type VIX in the Help screen, and you'll get some reference to VIX.

binhp
71 posts
msg #52065
Ignore binhp
6/7/2007 8:35:43 PM

glgene,

There is a referece to VIX which points me to stockcharts.com
However, I want stay within SF and run backtesting.

Thanks anyway.

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #52076
Ignore karennma
6/8/2007 8:52:06 AM

Binhp:
You can use "inverse" ETFs and get the same result as ^VIX or $VIX.
Here are some inverse ETFs that move in tandem with the $VIX.
PSQ
SH
MYY
DOG
QID
SDS
MZZ
DXD

Stockfetcher rules!
:>)

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #52899
Ignore karennma
7/9/2007 9:13:41 AM

Binhp:
I dunno if you're still here, but ... to address the issue of using the VIX as a buy or sell "trigger". Just IMHO ... frankly, I don't see how you can use it.
There are plenty of inverse ETFs that emulate the VIX.
And,like the VIX, you'd think when they hit a bottom, that would be a sell signal.
But in THIS particular market, that's not the case.
This market just keeps going up.
So altho' TWM and QID came up on my radar this morning, I'm not going to sell my long positions.
I've just become cycnical about these "signals".

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #52900
Ignore maxreturn
7/9/2007 9:35:32 AM

karennma, I agree with you that the VIX on a standalone basis is pretty much useless as a short selling timing indicator in a strong bull market. However, it is very good as a timing indicator for initiating long positions on dips in a bull market.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How to use the VIX to trigger a buy or a sell<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.