StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Levelset<< >>Post Follow-up
murknd
62 posts
msg #27208
Ignore murknd
7/5/2003 7:42:55 PM

I've tried to keep an open mind looking at all the filters / discussion everyone posts and it's pretty obvious there's a varied experience level and trading "personality" represented. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought it might be helpful to keep the following filters (pun intended) in mind as we post and read about this screen and that screen ...

1) There's no such thing as a "magic" filter that returns 100% (or perhaps 70% or 80%) winners day-in and day-out in all market conditions.
2) I've back-tested many of the filters that have been posted in filter exchange and some are "better" than others, but they all have "varied" performance depending on market conditions and countless other factors. Screening should be about choosing which stocks (of 1000's) to study further. Anyone can build a filter that returns 200 or 300 stocks - what good does that do?
3) I don't hear too much talk about entry and exit strategies. Inevitably any "good" filter will return numerous stocks that meet the filter criteria - which one or ones do you enter? There's no substitute for studying the individual charts at this point - that's one of the reasons I joined SF - because I could quickly scan through the charts associated with my specific citeria.
4) I think there are some of you that trade for a living (many perhaps that are day-traders) and your filters have been posted as "the best" this and "the best" that. Well I, for one, don't trade for a living and can't watch the market constantly throughout the day - so any filter that's posted with the caveat -- I then watch the "such and such" at "stocksrus.com" to determine entry and exit throughout the day -- is a filter that doesn't really help me (I know, I know, it does help some of you). It would be nice if people at least indicated their filters work best in "xyz" conditions or with "abc" exit and entry strategies.

That's probably enough rambling for now - just trying to keep everything in perspective ... thanks for listening.

D

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Levelset<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.