StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Performance Summary: First day of analysis and caution<< >>Post Follow-up
jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27428
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/17/2003 4:52:26 PM

I am running filters primarily with weekly indictors and then I check past performance by checking three months ago and then using Performance to find out how the filter does on different dates. I note if the first day is large, 2% or more. The first day represents in theory the first day you would trade. However, for the first day you may never be able to obtain that percentage because of a large gap between the close of the previous day and the opening/low of the first trading day which results in the close of today being abnormally distant from the previous close. If a gap occurs then the percentage gain one can obtain is less and an adjustment is needed.

If you are day trading and looking at a monitor with current data you can adjust because you see it. If you place your orders the night before you will pay a price higher than the previous close and thus your gain may be small or even negative if the close is less than the open.

When I see a large % on the first day I tend to discount it in looking at the total % after x days of analysis. Or, I will historically look at the charts to see how often gaps are occuring with a filter, which is very time consuming if the number of stocks selected is large.
JH

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Performance Summary: First day of analysis and caution<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.