StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Screen for MAX daily range<< >>Post Follow-up
PeterJerome
23 posts
msg #32385
Ignore PeterJerome
6/20/2004 10:23:44 PM

Is it possible to create a filter to test for daily range(close-open) back 40 days and identify if ANY bar exceeded a percentange of today's price. Some indicators, e.g. RSI, work better(are more reliable) if there are no violent price swings.
Regards,
Peter.

cegis
235 posts
msg #32392
Ignore cegis
6/21/2004 10:03:55 AM

Peter,

How 'bout somethin' like

Fetcher[
set{pr40, day point range 40 day high}
set{ratio, pr40 / price}
ratio is less than 0.2
and price between 3 and 15
and volume 25 day low is greater than 100000
add column pr40
add column ratio
]

The first line finds the highest daily point range over the past 40 days.

The second line divides the first line's result by the current price, to get a percentage of current price that the point range high value was.

The third line selects based on the ratio being less than a 20% swing. Obviously, change the value to whatever you want.

The next two lines are just limiting conditions that I sometimes use. Change to suit.

The rest is for illustration purposes.

(I didn't use "Day Range 40 day high" because I *think* Day Range is based on that day's close. So if the stock dropped (or gained) over several days, the Day Range over the period would be understated (or overstated, respectively).)

HTH,

C

PeterJerome
23 posts
msg #32395
Ignore PeterJerome
6/21/2004 8:10:30 PM

C,
I'm not familiar with the SET command, but I downloaded the manual and should get up to speed soon. I did find something that works for me:

The following checks the range 20 days back and excludes any stocks
that are more than 125% of today's range. The day range uses (high-Low)/close
In the RSI I use, any unduly high ranges (down candles) often warn of more weakness coming, so the RSI entry system gets confused. Adding this dramatically improved my results.

Fetcher[day range 20 day high < 100% above the day range]

>>not sure how to use the Fetcher business<<
Thanks for the reply.
Peter.

cegis
235 posts
msg #32402
Ignore cegis
6/22/2004 11:12:48 AM

Peter,

Glad to help.

The syntax for set{} is "set{variable, indicator expression}", where "variable" is a name you give the results, and "indicator expression" is a SIMPLE arithmetic expression (add, subtract, multiply, or divide) between two indicator values available, or just a single indicator.

To make your filters hot links that will open a new window and run the filter, simply enclose the filter in "
Fetcher[ /*filter*/ ]

", where /*filter*/ is your filter. There are a few issues that SF has with this which will prevent the filter becoming a hot link. The issue is that "special characters" (as far as HTML is concerned), such as ">", "<", and "&" are not handled well. Simply spell these out ("is less than", "is greater than"). to get around the problem.

HTH,

C

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Screen for MAX daily range<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.