StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Short term trading, but not day trading<< >>Post Follow-up
jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #27220
Ignore jim_c_hill
7/5/2003 10:53:10 PM

I have designed and looked at many filters to do short/medium term trading, one week to several months. The ones that give great performance over several months show that they can be often difficult to trade if there is a down draft in the market during the general uptrend. Some filters work great in bull markets but fail badly in bear market. I suggest the following if you are interested only in long trading for the one week to longer time period and are using filters that don't work well in down markets.
1. Using www.bigcharts.com or your own software, such as metastock, plot an index that you follow such as djia or sp500 or....
2. Use weekly data and plot a macd indicator. The parameters can be slightly shorter than the ones used for daily work.
3. Plot the histogram of the macd and its ema.
4. If weekly histogram is positive, use your filter.
5. If weekly historgram is negative do not use your filter.
This is not a perfect approach but it will keep you out of long bear markets and get you into the major part of a bull market.

You can modify the above, but in general it has proved valuable to me to advise me of how to trade in terms of the type of market.

JH

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Short term trading, but not day trading<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.