StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Specific Day<< >>Post Follow-up
msummer2007
129 posts
msg #63606
Ignore msummer2007
6/12/2008 3:23:58 PM

Is it possible to assign a specific day to a filter. For instances, say I want to know how many times a stock has breached the low on April 15, for that particular stock. I would like to assign specifc dates to specific stocks. Also have a column that reflects the data. Is this possible?

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #63608
Ignore nikoschopen
modified
6/12/2008 4:11:59 PM

Although it's possible, it's a cumbersome process. You would first need to manually count the days that comprise the date range between today and the desired date (eg. April 15th). Suppose that adds up to 50 days. You would then use that number in the count() function.

Fetcher[
set{days_crossed, count(price crossed below low 50 days ago, 50)}
set{days_below, count(price below low 50 days ago, 50)}
add to symlist(aapl)
add column days_crossed{crossed (-50 lo)}
add column days_below{below (-50 lo)}
]

Columns "crossed (-50 lo)" and "below (-50 lo)" will tell you how many times AAPL crossed below the low of April 15th and how many days remained below the low of April 15th, respectively.

**Edit**

Scrap the above filter. Now that I'm looking at it more closely, it appears that the "low 50 days ago" expression is relative to different days within the count() function. That is, day 1 would count back 50 days, day 2 would count back yet another 50 days,etc.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #63609
Ignore nikoschopen
6/12/2008 4:15:39 PM

Speaking of AAPL, this darling looks downright dangerous. It just completed what obviously looks like a double-top pattern. One more down day and this baby is toast.

msummer2007
129 posts
msg #63610
Ignore msummer2007
6/12/2008 4:48:52 PM

Niko, Thanks for the input. That is what I have been doing up till now. Having viewed thousands of stockfetcher graphs, I have noticed that a considerable amount of stocks gravitate to the first trading day of the new year,(Jan 2). Some stocks use the very first days high as support, frequently bouncing from this point. Also I have noticed many stocks that are below the first day of the year low, will rally up to the low of the first day of the year, and that becomes the ceiling. It happens so frequently, both scenarios, that I wonder if this is not how hedge funds and mutual funds trade. I don't know if it is possible to write a filter like this, where the filter can count the number of times these support and resistance points are met. Personally I have run out of ideas. By the way you are correct about aapl. Though I see a very difficult summer brewing for all stocks.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #63611
Ignore johnpaulca
6/12/2008 4:51:37 PM

Niko...AAPL has support around ema(34) ...see April 11th. If it breaks through then support is way down at the ema(100)...I don't believe it will.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #63620
Ignore nikoschopen
6/13/2008 2:33:53 AM

msummer,

I would need to think about this, but here's one that will at least get you up and running. Just fill in the price for the day that you had in mind on the first line of the filter..

Fetcher[
set{x, price for xx/yy/zz}
set{dayz, count(x below high,1) * count(x above low,1)}
set{days_crossed, count(dayz equals 1,50)}
set{days_below, count(price below x, 50)}
]

For example, Citigroup (C), had a low of $23.80 50-days ago. Hence, we'll declare "x" as 23.80 in the first line

Fetcher[
set{x, 23.80}
set{dayz, count(x below high,1) * count(x above low,1)}
set{days_crossed, count(dayz equals 1,50)}
set{days_below, count(price below x, 50)}
add to symlist(c)
add column separator
add column low 50 days ago{-50 lo}
add column days_crossed{crossed (-50 lo)}
add column days_below{below (-50 lo)}
add column separator
draw price line at x
]

As you'll note on the chart, the low made 50 days ago will be drawn horizontally on the chart

msummer2007
129 posts
msg #63626
Ignore msummer2007
6/13/2008 12:19:12 PM

Niko, Thank you. We are getting closer to the desired result.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Specific Day<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.