StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stock filtering outside of the box (charts)<< >>Post Follow-up
betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #54502
Ignore betyerbottomdollar
9/2/2007 12:35:40 PM

I have read somewhere that the chart contains all the information to date on any given stock (I am sure many people wouldn't agree but some hardcore tech anals have mentioned it before). But is there any way anywhere to filter for variables that really move stocks? I was thinking of a news-driven filter...one that collected (perhaps through rss feeds or something) company news from a collection of web sites and filtered that into a summary of what stocks are making news and why.

My initial thought was a points-based system that added for positive earnings and good announcements and such while subtracting for negative events and the like (sort of like counting cards for you blackjack players). A morning look at the filter could find BIDU with a rating of 6 (positive news - negative news) while ZUMZ might have -4 (a potential short). Coupled with careful tech anal I would think a filter of this nature could be very powerful.

Um...so like, what do yall, like, think, dudes?

mrbobolina
19 posts
msg #54524
Ignore mrbobolina
9/3/2007 4:33:05 PM

I've been thinking the same thing. I have a feeling that although it's definitely something that can be done, it would be an extensive undertaking.

I use another website that rates stocks using earnings criteria so I know it can be done, but including it in a stockfetcher filter might too much to ask.

What say you, stockfetcher?

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #54533
Ignore curmudgeon
9/4/2007 9:58:08 AM

A quick thought.

How would a machine know what "positive" or negative" news is?

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #54556
9/4/2007 6:27:02 PM

Key words. Or for that matter, if some financial site wanted to invest in the idea of a news-based filter they could hire a few people to sort through news coming in and assign it points. A hassle, yes, but if it had true merit people would subscribe to have access. That would pay for itself, no?

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #54580
Ignore curmudgeon
9/5/2007 12:04:48 PM

Here's some stuff to give you a handle on the task:

http://www.semantic-knowledge.com/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_language_processing

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #54594
9/5/2007 7:25:06 PM

Hey that is pretty cool. You seem pretty far from a curmudgeon, Mr. Curmudgeon.

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #54680
Ignore curmudgeon
9/9/2007 8:54:22 PM

http://www.afajof.org/afa/forthcoming/4314.pdf

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #56020
10/25/2007 1:09:03 PM

Holy smokes...today I noticed at the bottom left of the Yahoo! Finance page there was a little box labled "Market Movers: Newsworthy", and it listed stocks with big moves and is "Determined based on increased frequency of appearance in news"

Wow...that is *almost* what I was looking for when I started this thread! Close enough to be impressed!

fokane
74 posts
msg #56044
Ignore fokane
10/26/2007 6:54:15 AM

On Google Finance they have letter tags on the chart to match news events on the right column. I dont get why GOOG dont do more with their Finance website, doesnt look like it even supports candle charts..

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #56047
Ignore TheRumpledOne
10/26/2007 8:12:11 AM

TRADING RULE 43.

It is better to be more interested in the market's reaction to new information that in the piece of news itself.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stock filtering outside of the box (charts)<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.