StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Swing Traders....need a little push<< >>Post Follow-up
luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #52604
Ignore luc1grunt
6/27/2007 6:04:41 PM

So I've been successful picking bottom feeders in the past, but that system started winding down as I had more time to trade intra-day. Been successful intra-day but the full-time time job is limiting my time and concentration. SO...before I begin to make eradic and "stupid" intraday trades, I need to re-analyze and work the swings (2-5 days). In this current market, any help or tidbits would be appreciated.

I don't want your system or a lecture in MM etc., just a little push from the likes of Niko, Crisp, Alfie etc. as I have not looked at any swings for quite a while.

Any thoughts?

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #52605
Ignore nikoschopen
6/27/2007 8:09:48 PM

Just what exactly constitutes "a little push"?

Whatever that may be, there isn't a whole lot anybody, myself included, can offer other than to say "trend is ure friend". Learn to trade with the prevailing trend and everything else will take care of itself.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #52606
Ignore luc1grunt
6/27/2007 8:28:43 PM

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Half a bottle of livet and I was getting bored with my own studies and research. Job (position) change has me drumming my fingers. Thanks Niko.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #52607
Ignore luc1grunt
6/27/2007 8:30:02 PM

SNDK, XOM, and QCOM were fun the past six months though!

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #52611
Ignore alf44
modified
6/27/2007 11:38:38 PM

luc1grunt,

If you want to "SWING Trade"...make your focus "SWINGS" in price action !

There IS a somewhat predictable rhythm in the price action of individual stocks (and MARKETS for that matter). imo

This "rhythm" can be 2 days...3 days...5 days...(or, longer obviously...depending on your time horizon).

It isn't always as predictable as the sunrise tomorrow...BUT...it IS discernible...if you stay focused and look for the possible clues !

Prices (AND VOLATILITY) are cyclical !

Prices (AND VOLATILITY) ebb and flow !

Make your focus those cycles...those rhythms...the ebb and flow of volatility...

...the "contraction and expansion of prices"...

...do THAT and you will be farther along in the quest than you will EVER be by remaining a slave to lagging oscillator signals etc...etc... !

Price (action/patterns) is/are the ultimate indicator(s) ! imo

Regards,

alf44

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #52613
Ignore nikoschopen
6/28/2007 12:50:34 AM

luc1grunt,

In more ways than one, what Alfie and I stated amount to pretty much the same thing: learn to be in synch with the market. Why don't you rather fill us in with the details of what you feel is inadequate so that we can better help you?

Be that as it may, we can talk, talk, and talk some more and never get anywhere. Hence let me provide you with a simple filter, which I happily ripped from no other than Alfie da man, who himself took the basic premise from Linda Bradford & Co., and modified it to suit my trading style. So here ya go.

Fetcher[
date offset 3

count(Close below EMA(50), 20) below 1 and
60 day Slope of EMA(50) is above 0 and
Close above EMA(50) and
EMA(4) crossed above EMA(6) and

count(gap is above 5%,1) equals 0
set{range%, Day Point Range / low}
set{range, range% * 100}
range below 3

close above PP and
Price above 20 and
Average Volume(65) is above 500000
]

The "date offset 3" was added to show how they fared in the turbulent market we've recently experienced.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #52614
Ignore alf44
6/28/2007 1:42:40 AM

niko,

I have been reading LBR's stuff since the early "TAG telerate seminars" around 1994ish !

Since that time I have read and studied everything by (and about) her I could get my hands on...and have shamelessly stolen almost everything my pea brain could wrap itself around that Linda (and more recently Larry Connors) have espoused !

I have "copped" to this here in these forums many times...and I make no apologies !

LBR RULES !!!

:8^)

Regards,

alf44

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #52617
Ignore luc1grunt
6/28/2007 6:52:45 AM

Great stuff folks. I got spoiled with the ability to focus intraday and get in sync with the rythms of a few stocks. I can no longer trade intraday.

For the swings, zeroing in on those stocks in this market which are in or bouncing back from a pullback is where I was going. Touching lower lin reg channel while in the uptrend, lower bb, dmi cross, expanding volume, or nearing a breakout of channel trend in an overall uptrend. Thanks for the comments. You guys are great.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Swing Traders....need a little push<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.