StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Symlist<< >>Post Follow-up
Drew2599
1 posts
msg #56923
Ignore Drew2599
11/21/2007 8:27:22 PM

I understand the symlist command as you can use it to return whatever stock symbol you want to analyze. What if you want to analyze the ^DJI or ^SPX? When I enter them into the symlist command it returns over 12,000 stocks when I just want to examine the index itself.

When I typed in symlist(^dji), Add column close, I would expect to just see one line and that is the dow jones industrial index close result.

When I type in any stock symbol into this simple "fetch" I get one line and the close of the stock.

Any ideas why this would not work on the Dow or SP500 index?

Thank you

danstock49
1 posts
msg #157501
Ignore danstock49
modified
9/5/2021 4:54:17 PM

I'm fairly new to this forum, and this question was written so long ago but I don't see a response, so I don't know if I'm overlooking the response(s) to this question. Anyway, in the event I'm not overlooking something, I wanted to enter a response for other newbies who might have this same question. Although my answer doesn't directly provide an answer to this specific question, my answer does provide one solution for those who might have a similar question - use DIA for the Dow Jones (^DJI) and SPY for the SP500.

Mactheriverrat
3,131 posts
msg #157502
Ignore Mactheriverrat
9/5/2021 5:03:59 PM

Well thats a great answer. Welcome to SF !

wantonellis
155 posts
msg #157503
Ignore wantonellis
9/6/2021 8:30:27 AM

From SF.

Can an index appear in filter results?

No. Because StockFetcher does not carry volume details for indices they will not appear in filter results. Additionally, due to the the lack of volume information, charts for an index will not include details beyond basic pricing information.

Please note that this applies to any "apply to symlist" or "apply to watchlist" phrases that contain index(es).

A list of indexes supported on StockFetcher can be found here: Indexes on StockFetcher. https://www.stockfetcher.com/sfhelp/?id=100229

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Symlist<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.