StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · The Other Solar-Related Investment Opportunity<< >>Post Follow-up
TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #59819
Ignore TheRumpledOne
2/20/2008 3:44:08 PM

In today's inbox:

The Other Solar-Related Investment Opportunity
By Nick Hodge | Wednesday, February 20th, 2008

The 2007 numbers are in, and there is a new winner.

Q-Cells AG (FRA: QCE) is now the single largest producer of solar cells in the world. With production of 370 megawatts (MW) worth in 2007, the company held off the now second place Sharp Corp. (TYO: 6753) and the third place Suntech Power Co., Ltd (NYSE: STP)

Kyocera Corporation (NYSE: KYO) is expected to finish fourth, with Wall Street blockbuster First Solar (NYSE: FSLR) slated for a fifth place finish.

Why am I telling you this?

Because companies the world over are ramping up production of solar cells and the components needed to make them.

Q-Cells, for example, ramped up production 46% to 370 MW in 2007, up from 253 MW in 2006.

Suntech expanded production even more rapidly, jumping 127% in one year.

And all of these companies would certainly have produced more cells if there were an abundant supply of silicon feedstock, which there isn't--at least for the moment.

But many solar analysts, myself included, believe the current polysilicon supply crunch will begin to subside this year, paving the way for even higher levels of solar cell production.

Yet, the decision looms of which company to play in this huge bull market. Sharp and Kyocera aren't pure plays, so choosing them could leave you open to volatility in other segments of the electronic and semiconductor industries.

And the pure players, like First Solar and Suntech, are still jockeying for a leadership position while using different technologies; First Solar makes cadmium telluride cells and Suntech makes crystalline cells.

Who knows which one of these technologies will win? I suspect we'll continue to see a combination for quite some time. And it's possible to make money playing both in the mean time.

But the Green Chip team has uncovered a way to rake in gains in the solar sector by playing a completely different angle: installers.

Because no matter which companies are making the solar cells or which technologies are used, they all need to be installed. And we've uncovered a company that will go gangbusters in the solar installer arena.

I urge you to learn more about this blockbuster solar installer.

Until next time,

nick hodge

Nick

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #59822
Ignore EWZuber
2/20/2008 4:09:51 PM

AKNS
Akeena Solar

glgene
613 posts
msg #59825
Ignore glgene
2/20/2008 4:28:50 PM

Tro, Your msg., in part, said ... "we've uncovered a company that will go gangbusters in the solar installer arena.

I urge you to learn more about this blockbuster solar installer.

Do you know the company name of this installer? Its stock symbol?

glgene
613 posts
msg #59826
Ignore glgene
2/20/2008 4:30:39 PM

Boy, that was fast. The answer was posted before my question.

Tro...Do you confirm that AKNS is the stock sumbol?

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #59837
Ignore EWZuber
2/21/2008 3:53:04 AM

Already had them on the solar page of my streamer.
CSIQ and ENER have been the stronger solar stocks lately.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #59849
Ignore TheRumpledOne
2/21/2008 11:36:44 AM

I don't know.

Just thought the email was interesting.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · The Other Solar-Related Investment Opportunity<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.