StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tis the season!!! (help needed)<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
justsealit
4 posts
msg #70024
Ignore justsealit
12/24/2008 5:46:10 PM

As a new trader that wants to succeed, I am in need of mentorship in putting together the initial filter that I want to base my trading on. If someone would be gracious enough to give me some insight on how to create a filter that recognizes the following: macd (8,17,9) fast line crossover slow line
stochastic fast line crossover slow line around 20 (long) or 80 (short) decreasing
increased volume
supporting candle charts on long or short plays according to the filter

I will thank anyone in advance for their help. If my filter requirements are narrow sighted, I am open to other effective criteria.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #70026
Ignore chetron
12/24/2008 6:46:52 PM

MAYBE...

Fetcher[

macd(8,17,9) fast line crossED ABOVE macd(8,17,9) slow line
stochastic %K crossED ABOVE stochastic %D
volume increased LAST 1 DAY

]

justsealit
4 posts
msg #70033
Ignore justsealit
12/25/2008 1:25:43 PM

Thank you very much for the response. I believe that your willingness to help others is a sign of great things to come for you in the new year. Being new to the stock fetcher community, I am taken back by the generousity of the people that comprise these forums. To all that read this, I encourage others to remain in the spirit of giving and it will be returned to you in great measure. I can only hope that I learn enough about training that I too can one day give back to others...

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #70035
Ignore luc1grunt
12/25/2008 3:28:21 PM

When you think you have read enough...read a little more. Gold is lying on the ground....you just need to pick it up.

Maybe drop a little in the Salvation Army kettles while you are it.

:)

marine2
963 posts
msg #70041
Ignore marine2
12/26/2008 10:39:58 AM

All we need to do now is to get rid of the greedy people that harm investors. What a few bad people do harms millions and millions of good honest hard working people. Like computer viruses we need to find find ways to identify these bad apples earlier before they rotten the batch. What with the new investing environment before us it will take time to get a good sense on what avenues to take to get some of our money back. All the books and strategies previoiusly written on how to navigate in the investing world probably needs to have new editions to them. I think some of the views previously established doesnt work in todays setting.

May you all have a wonderful Holidays and a Happy New Year. Should be an interesting one at that.

marine2
963 posts
msg #70042
Ignore marine2
12/26/2008 12:57:17 PM

By simply using a happy MA(50), meaning showing MA(50) increasing previous 4 days. And catching any companies with its Slow Stochastic %D below 40 will give you nice results. I usually back test in a positive environment and with our current negative environment at hand it might change the success percentage but still keeps you in the game. My positive back test environment with this scenario showed 95% Wins and a ROI of 77%.

justsealit
4 posts
msg #70043
Ignore justsealit
12/26/2008 2:44:00 PM

would the screen go something like this: show stocks with MA (50) increasing within the last 4 days
and stochastic slow line d% approaching 40 from below

You mentioned that this strategy is better suited for a bullish environment, any suggestions for the current market ?

marine2
963 posts
msg #70060
Ignore marine2
12/27/2008 2:01:02 PM

You wrote it well. Just add "and price is above 2". That way you will stay away from penny stocks per se unless you want penny stocks.

I base my back testing on a positive time of the market. But, with us putting in ma(50) increasing previous 3 to 4 days I would imagine you would begin looking at a more positive look on the stocks you are finding with this filter. I find if I put too many parameters in the filter it tends to diminish the effectiveness of the filter. Being simple does have its place in our filtering world. Try your back testing in todays tim frame and see what you get. Your results probably wont have the sheer number results like I get from my positive environment but it will give you a more true Win - Loss % and ROI %.

In my silly view on things, if I do my back testing against a positive time frame that's probably when I am supposed to buy stocks. When we get into a negaive time from for stock buying and selling is when I should be sitting on the sidelines. Most teachers of stock buying encourage you to buy when the sun is shining so-to-speak and not when its in a raining / negative mood. Unless you are into shorting stocks and buying stocks then you can play both sides of the fence, positive and negative markets.

marine2
963 posts
msg #70061
Ignore marine2
12/27/2008 2:27:24 PM

Fetcher[

and price is above 2
and Slow Stochastics Fast %K(10) is crossing above 25
and draw ma(10)
and draw ma(30)
and ma(50) is increasing previous 3 days

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #70064
Ignore chetron
12/27/2008 4:24:15 PM

A LITTLE MORE CLICKABLE....

FETCHER[

Fetcher[

and price is above 2
and Slow Stochastics Fast %K(10) is crossing above 25
and draw ma(10)
and draw ma(30)
and ma(50) is increasing previous 3 days

]

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Tis the season!!! (help needed)<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.