StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Trading & Taxes<< >>Post Follow-up
maxreturn
745 posts
msg #55574
Ignore maxreturn
modified
10/8/2007 8:49:13 AM

I have a friend who just came into a nice sum of money. He's asked me to trade a small portion of it...about $10,000. In exchange I will earn a percentage of the profits. I've never done this sort of thing before and I want to structure this thing as simple as possible while getting maximum tax benefit. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

roheba
20 posts
msg #55576
Ignore roheba
10/8/2007 11:44:36 AM

Your fee is going to be ordinary income, so I don't think there's much you can do regarding tax treatment. A simple arrangement I've used is: 40% of gain in excess of the concurrent change in the S&P. So, if you achieve 25% while the S&P has gone up 15%, you get paid 40% of 10%. Given this circumstance, at the end of the year, your friend's account grew by $2,100 and you pocketed $400. Professional money managers work for lower percents, but with much larger account balances.

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #55577
Ignore maxreturn
10/8/2007 11:53:38 AM

Roheba, thanks for the response. We've already worked out the fee arrangement. I should have been more specific. I'm looking for advice as to whether or not it would make sense to form a trading company and either incorporate or set up an LLC to gain maximum tax benefit.

Regards
Max

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Trading & Taxes<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.