StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda!"<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 9 >>Post Follow-up
luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #46767
Ignore luc1grunt
9/6/2006 7:09:49 AM

I agree Avery. I have increased my gains by rigidly sticking to my loss threshold (and cutting them without hesitation)....but watching those "profits run" after I sell at my target still churns the guts a little. I need a little more refinement in this area. Thanks, Luc

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46769
Ignore nikoschopen
9/6/2006 3:44:43 PM

While we're on the topic of sense and sensibility, perhaps I would like to add my own contribution. My gripe of late is that I keep giving back my profit. Damn, had I only taken that profit 5-minutes ago when it was at its zenith, I would be a happy camper. Call it a pure pristine glimpse into greed. LOL

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #46770
Ignore luc1grunt
9/6/2006 5:20:26 PM

mmmmmmm, fresh tasty Greeeed.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46771
Ignore nikoschopen
9/6/2006 8:38:24 PM

I have yet to meet a trader who claims modesty as one of his or her shining attributes. Now 'fess up, show ure true colors!

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #46780
Ignore luc1grunt
9/7/2006 4:35:04 PM

AAPL. Got my $1 then bam, right in the kisser. Came back to check the longer holds and she's headin for the moon!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #46784
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/7/2006 6:45:17 PM

I sold AAPL the over day above $71.

Today it went about $73.

That would have been over 2 large in my pocket. Oh well.

Guess what?

I BANKED PROFIT AND...

TOMORROW'S ANOTHER TRADING DAY!

So many times, I'll take 3 or 4 pips off the Euro only to watch it run another 3 or more pips. BUT I TOOK PROFIT. And you know what? Those times it reverses after I exit, it feels REAL GOOD!!

Just remember to focus on GETTING SOME rather than GETTING MORE!!

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #46787
Ignore luc1grunt
9/7/2006 6:57:46 PM

Agreed. The whining is tongue in cheek but, I will continue to refine my exit stats and strategies!!! I have been lucky enough to observe a nice stop triggered and the dog keeps diving into what would have been a multi $$$$ loss. Now that feels good!

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46788
Ignore nikoschopen
9/7/2006 8:05:04 PM

It goes without saying that noobs concentrate on the entry while the pros on the exit. BTW what's ure exit strategy anyway?

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #46790
Ignore luc1grunt
9/7/2006 8:46:42 PM

Mine? Price target each trade. I'm pulled away from the screen very often so trailing stop is the main technique when it is nearing my target. I hate having a stop because time has shown it gets "plucked" like a piece of fruit in a volatile stock. If price hits .15-.25 over the target, I'll set the stop to lock in the target. That's where the last few days have got me. Quick pullback, pluck the stop, then off to the races. Lost my target many times by "not placing the stop" as well, so if I go through the journal it would likely show it all as a wash when said and done........and you?

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46792
Ignore nikoschopen
9/8/2006 1:18:45 AM

You didn't specify what you use as a profit target (eg. stochastic crossing above /below overbought/oversold, price/trendline breakout/breakdown, etc). I hope you don't use just any random number as your price target.

If you haven't already noticed, Newton's law of motion applies in the stock market as well. It tends to advance up or down the price ladder until it gets knocked out of balance by another force of resistance. And these occurences happen in specific places, such as support/resistance, trendlines, and major moving averages (MA(20), MA(50), & MA(200), for example).

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda!"<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 9 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.