StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · actual rsi(2) equation<< >>Post Follow-up
tomm1111
202 posts
msg #66066
Ignore tomm1111
8/11/2008 1:36:04 PM

Anybody know the actual rsi(2) equation SF uses? Using only 2 bars returns alot of 0's and 100's, however, that is not what a SF rsi(2) filter returns.

The following rsi equation doesn't work.

RSI = 100 - 100 / (1 + RS)
RS = AG / AL

tomm1111
202 posts
msg #66094
Ignore tomm1111
8/11/2008 8:33:06 PM

Bump.

Smart guys, SF. What's the actual RSI(2) equation used?

tomb
267 posts
msg #66097
Ignore tomb
8/11/2008 9:42:20 PM

Hi,

The RSI is a cumulative measure where the current value is based on all previous values. On StockFetcher, a measure such as this is "seeded" with at least 2 years of historical values to compute the most recent value. In other words, an RSI(2) is not just based on the last 2 periods (as a simple moving average would be.)

As you noted, Wilder's RSI formula is:

RSI = 100 - (100 / (1 + (AG/AL)))

However, note that the 'AG' and 'AL' components are not derived from simple moving averages, but each are computed using Wilder's smoothing method:

X(i) = [X(i-1)(n-1) + Y(i)] / n

Where X(i) is your current average, and Y is your input data series. The above is very similar to an EMA, and as you can see requires all previous values to compute the current value.

Tom
StockFetcher.com Support

tomm1111
202 posts
msg #66099
Ignore tomm1111
8/11/2008 10:52:31 PM

Cool. Thanks Tomb for the reply.

I think I remember running into that equation at some point. I'm going to look into it further.

Tom

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · actual rsi(2) equation<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.